looks like baby's breath ... but isn't

prairie_love(z3/4 ND)May 11, 2009

Hi all,

I am usually a lurker here and recently I saw a thread about a lovely white-flowered plant (I think annual) that looks a lot like baby's breath but isn't. I cannot find the thread now. In fact, I'm wondering if I'm going crazy and didn't see it here after all . Do any of you happen to know what I'm talking about?

Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
belfastmom

You might be thinking of Sea Lavender (limonium latifolium). It looks like somewhat like baby's breath. It is a perennial (at least it is here in zone 5). Check out the link below for more info and a pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: limonium latifolium

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 3:56PM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

I'm guessing it's Diamond Frost Euphorbia. It's frequently described as being similar to baby's breath.

Look at the pictures in the Dave's Garden link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond Frost euphorbia.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 4:14PM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

Yes! Diamond Frost euphorbia it is. Thank you! And this time I will write it down so I don't forget again...

belfastmom, I like the looks of the sea lavender also - I need to see if it is perennial here, thank you.

Thanks to both of you!

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 4:22PM
steve1young(7A)

My Mom LOVES baby's breath, so I wanted to plant some for her (perennial), but her soil is way too clay. I found a great Achillea that looks very much like baby's breath. It's Achillea ptarmica which comes in a regular size of 2 feet: 'Angel's Breath'. And, it also comes in a smaller size at 1 foot: A. p. 'Ballerina'. I've had great luck with both. So, if your soil doesn't drain well enough for baby's breath, you may want to try these. Also, they look great together. They can be a little assertive in my garden, but never aggressive.

Happy gardening!

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:50PM
WendyB(5A/MA)

note that Diamond Frost euphorbia overwinters easily. I keep some in my basement under flourescent lights and it does fine all winter long with some blooming. I bring it out in the spring and it continues to bloom all summer

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 5:05PM
echinaceamaniac(7)

Diamond Frost Euphorbia is AMAZING! I root cuttings in water and the cuttings bloom even in the water while rooting. It's a must have plant in my garden now.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 10:58AM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

Ah, good, I was hoping it could be easily rooted. I'm thinking I want it in some containers this year and if I can take cuttings for the next year's pots, so much the better.

Thanks!

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™