Timing for wiltproof spray to discourage RRD

lainey2(7a)April 8, 2013

In order to possibily discourage RRD, when is the best time to spray wilt proof? Won't the rain wash it away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

I have never heard of this - what is the theory?

Jackie

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:55PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

The theory is that the airborne mites will not recognize the leaves as rose leaves so they will choose to move on.

This was inspired by the mites being unwilling to stay on leaves of R. bracteata in laboratory experiments.

At least two rose growers in the central and eastern US have had lower RRD infection rates than they might have had otherwise possibly because of their use of antitranspirant sprays.

To try to answer Lainey's question, I'd need to know where Lainey lives. IF in east Tennessee, I'd start spraying antitranspirants in mid May, or if this heat hold, next week. Midsummer, if temps are above 70s at night, probably not, and then again in August September and maybe into October. This comes with no guarantees. But there is some logic behind it. The problem is, that conditions (local temps, temps in upwind areas where the mites are established, future winds) do vary continually.

This is an attempt to reduce disease pressure on a garden and it has some limited success.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 1:37PM
lainey2(7a)

Thank you, anntn,
Actually my zone has changed to 7a, I'm in SW VA. So if night temperatures are above 70, don't spray wilt proof. If that correct?

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
am I too impatient w already-leaved bareroot in container?
hello! My bareroot had already leaved out quite nicely...
Need2SeeGreen
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Anyone have experience with baby romantica roses? I'm in zone 8.
Just came across Romantica roses - charming! I container...
salleygardens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™