My Black & Decker doesn't do that. Works until the string . becomes too short then quits. Then after taking the cap off the string has wound into the inside. Pulling out the string only works until that happens again.
Jim: I would assume the B&D has the same basic tap and go feature of most trimmers ? If you have the proper amount and gauge of line applied in the required direction of flow on the spool . You gently tap the head on the ground surface while accelerating the trimmer . Don't over tension the line within the spool hosing , this sometimes will contribute to the unraveling into the hub when the line breaks.
According to the manual there is no need to "bump" the thing. I was thinking that maybe it is something in the spool mechanism?
Centrifugal Force is what normally allows the spool to unwind , however your trimmer may well have a different mechanical means of deploying the line to within a certain length which is normally the line cutter Blade . Does your Operator's Manual not explain or illustrate this ? I would think perhaps a slip clutch brake set up , that when you accelerate the trimmer additional line is fed out ? Sorry without further info can't help you out .
The manual doesnÂt say a word about string advancement. And after taking it apart I see nothing but the motor that turns the trimmer. SoÂ.the mechanism must be in the spool. So IÂm going to try WD40 on it see if that helps!
Jim , Just a further question is your trimmer gas or electric verion ?
Electric as in extension cord not battery.
And thanks for your help!
Jim: Just thought I would confirm , since my Wife has a small Black & Decker Cordless (18 Volt) Bush Hog Model that she always uses around her garden . I never use it so completely forgot about it . I checked the Line advance Design and it to is a Tap and Go mechanism . Less robust than my Gas Version with a Spring loaded slip clutch rather than a ratchet stop style . Don't know what to tell you perhaps check out online or contact a authorized dealer for further info ..sorry !
My trimmer is working, it just needed a shot of WD40.
Now something interesting. There were several places where I I couldn't reach because of the guard. So I took it off. I expected to have a problem as the cutter on the guard now wouldn't work. Not so. After using for a long time the string remained about 5" long And it worked like a Trojan really cutting like mad. I also thought the string might hit my bare leg. Not a problem. The only problem was the small bits of dirt that hit my bard leg stinging a bit.
From now on I'm going to use it without the guard!
Just ensure to guard by position the debris (projectile Path) Since Basement Windows or Sliding Porch Drs are great Targets . Good to hear that the lubrication was all that was necessary !