How does a trimmer advance string?

jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)July 18, 2010

My Black & Decker doesn't do that. Works until the string . becomes too short then quits. Then after taking the cap off the string has wound into the inside. Pulling out the string only works until that happens again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ewalk

Jim: I would assume the B&D has the same basic tap and go feature of most trimmers ? If you have the proper amount and gauge of line applied in the required direction of flow on the spool . You gently tap the head on the ground surface while accelerating the trimmer . Don't over tension the line within the spool hosing , this sometimes will contribute to the unraveling into the hub when the line breaks.

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 10:42AM
jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)

According to the manual there is no need to "bump" the thing. I was thinking that maybe it is something in the spool mechanism?

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 1:32PM
ewalk

Centrifugal Force is what normally allows the spool to unwind , however your trimmer may well have a different mechanical means of deploying the line to within a certain length which is normally the line cutter Blade . Does your Operator's Manual not explain or illustrate this ? I would think perhaps a slip clutch brake set up , that when you accelerate the trimmer additional line is fed out ? Sorry without further info can't help you out .

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 6:00PM
jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)

Ewalk

The manual doesnÂt say a word about string advancement. And after taking it apart I see nothing but the motor that turns the trimmer. SoÂ.the mechanism must be in the spool. So IÂm going to try WD40 on it see if that helps!

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 6:38PM
ewalk

Jim , Just a further question is your trimmer gas or electric verion ?

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 9:16PM
jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)

Electric as in extension cord not battery.

And thanks for your help!

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 5:59AM
ewalk

Jim: Just thought I would confirm , since my Wife has a small Black & Decker Cordless (18 Volt) Bush Hog Model that she always uses around her garden . I never use it so completely forgot about it . I checked the Line advance Design and it to is a Tap and Go mechanism . Less robust than my Gas Version with a Spring loaded slip clutch rather than a ratchet stop style . Don't know what to tell you perhaps check out online or contact a authorized dealer for further info ..sorry !

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 1:21PM
jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)

My trimmer is working, it just needed a shot of WD40.

Now something interesting. There were several places where I I couldn't reach because of the guard. So I took it off. I expected to have a problem as the cutter on the guard now wouldn't work. Not so. After using for a long time the string remained about 5" long And it worked like a Trojan really cutting like mad. I also thought the string might hit my bare leg. Not a problem. The only problem was the small bits of dirt that hit my bard leg stinging a bit.

From now on I'm going to use it without the guard!

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 11:14AM
ewalk

Just ensure to guard by position the debris (projectile Path) Since Basement Windows or Sliding Porch Drs are great Targets . Good to hear that the lubrication was all that was necessary !

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Building storage shed on a terraced slope
Is it safe to build a storage shed occupying two levels...
Thomas Lu
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
Temperature alarm app for Android?
I am wondering if anyone knows of an Android app that...
armbarangel
Who Makes This 'New' Craftsman 50cc Chain Saw?
Doing a little research on possible replacement saws......
pgtr
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
Sponsored Products
Antiquity Pompeii Design Oak and Dark Tan Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$299.00 | Bellacor
Ten Sunflower Party String Lights
$19.99 | Lamps Plus
Juno Trac-Lites 50 Watt Chrome Barn Door Track Spotlight
$55.95 | Lamps Plus
ELK Lighting Swingarm 10291/1 Wall Lamp - Aged Bronze - 11W in. - 10291/1
$160.00 | Hayneedle
'Loved' Wall Art
$39.99 | zulily