moldy oldy kitchen scraps

terratoma(7a)April 23, 2013

Just discovered that I have about ten coffee cans of kitchen scraps (veggie peelings, fruit skins, coffee grounds; no meat, cheese, bones, grease, etc.) that have been sitting around since November. Somebody stuck them up on a high shelf, out of sight, on the back porch. (She either didn't tell me ... or I forgot!) The contents have all grown "white beards" ... truly oldie moldies. I assume these are safe to add to a compost pile and would be considered a "green". Is this correct?
Also, I've been told that grass clippings are an excellent "green" material that can be added to the "brown" carbon materials. Does this apply to cut grass that has dried for several days?
All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tripleione(6b)

I would throw both the moldy stuff and the grass clippings in there. It shouldn't hurt anything.

I throw basically any and every piece of food scraps (pretty much everything besides bones, meat and oil) into the compost pile I use for vegetables. They seem to be doing fine and the veggies taste great.

I don't usually throw grass clippings into the compost pile because I like to use them as mulch.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 3:22PM
toxcrusadr

Yes, green grass that has dried for a few days is still a 'green'. In fact that's one way to stockpile grass clippings when enough browns aren't available.

Moldy food waste is just anxious to decompose and is starting without you. Chuck it in there and help it fulfill its destiny!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:04PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Those white beards you see on the kitchen scraps is fungi that is working at digesting the stuff. Put it in your compost.
Whether dried grass clippings can be a source of Nitrogen or not depends on how they were dried and the age. Fresh grass clippings are supposed to be about 4 percent N (University of Missouri) but loose N as they dry. Some sources list the C:N ratio of fresh grass clippings as 20:1 and dry grass clippings at 50:1 while some others list the C:N ratio of grass clippings as always being 20:1.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:04AM
TXEB(9a)

"Those white beards you see on the kitchen scraps is fungi that is working at digesting the stuff."

Usually you get various strains of penicillium before you get the other fungi. The white fuzzy stuff that likes to grow over oranges and the like is typically a penicillium. Fine for compost.

This post was edited by TXEB on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 7:44

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Need alternative nitrogen source
Ok, here goes. Don't laugh if I sound stupid. Or...
ernie85017
Soil Test Report questions-please help.
Hello all you kind folks on this site. I have received...
allyn12
Post hole filled with compost for deep soil conditioning
I am trying to find a way to fix my soil as deep and...
taylorjonl
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
How quickly can I lower pH of soil in order to plant acidic plants?
I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma! I...
stillasprout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™