Will a 2 cycle engine run if the exhaust is 100% blocked?

loger_gwJuly 20, 2011

Will a 2 cycle engine run if the exhaust is 100% blocked? My answer would be no but I had one I thought was 100% blocked (from appearance, feel, sound) that would run (Echo SRM-210 trimmer).

1. It would start easy, idle and run at low rpm. Naturally it had no high rpm or power.

2. The spark arrester was blocked 90% with very little light showing through it. The cover above the spark arrester was blocked solid with no light visible though it and a Bear To Clean (after soaking it in B-12 carb cleaner).

3. I feel some exhaust had to be coming out that I c/n see or feel. loger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

They won't rev up when the spark arrestor is blocked. No, they can't run without exhausting.

The easiest way to clean the spark arrestor is to throw it away. The next best way is to heat it red hot with a propane torch, or even a good lighter. The resulting ash will easily fall off.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 3:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

How do you explain a combustion engine running w/o exhausting? Will the gases go back into the crankcase past the rings and then where?

The use of heat on the spark arrestor is 100% faster and cheaper even if they are free. LOL. That made my day on the recent 2nd blocked arrestor. Just as good was the design for the arrestor to slide out vs bolts once the muffler guard/starter was removed. Just 4 bolts on the Poulan Pro Link Mod # PPB335, 33cc. Thanks! loger

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™