Rotary edger hand tool

petehoukJuly 13, 2008

Hi. I am trying to find a decent sidewalk edger. I prefer not to use power tools, so I am looking for the old style wheel-on-a-stick type of edger, like this one:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1275028&cp=&sr=1&origkw=edger&kw=edger&parentPage=search&searchId=29587157203

I have a nice Craftsman edger from another era, but the teeth on the blade have worn down and I can't get a replacement blade. I bought a replacement Craftsman edger but it broke before I finished edging one time.

I tried Ace and True Value, but the only edgers they have look *a lot* like the one I got from Sears, right down to the word "CHINA" embossed on the metal frame.

Does anyone have a rotary edger that they have purchased recently and had good luck with? (Thanks, but I don't need feedback on electric and gasoline powered models.)

Thanks

Pete

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weed_cutter

I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid, didn't know they still made them.

I can't help you locate a well made wheel edger but the half-moon step on type work OK when you get the rhythm going. You have to get the right song to sing while stepping, prying then pulling.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 8:47PM
petehouk

I guess I hadn't considered the step-on type. They have the advantage of simplicity...no moving parts to wear or break.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 9:14PM
schoolhouse_gw

I have the one you posted the link to. Bought it like four years ago at Lowes I think and only used it a few times. Mainly, because I wanted it for edging a flower bed in the yard, not a sidewalk and seemed to be too much effort. Best tool I've found for the job is a shovel. But, check Lowes for that single wheel type.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 9:13PM
schoolhouse_gw

I checked Lowe's website and didn't see one, but found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Wheel-Lawn-Edger-Flexrake/dp/B000DCN8NQ

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 9:21PM
petehouk

That Flexrake sounds like the way to go. I am going to try one as soon as I get my $15 back for that Craftsman piece of junk!

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 9:45PM
derick

Glad to find this subject on a forum! I have a slightly different question on the same subject. I grew up using a Rotary edger, so now that I have my own lawn, I thought I might get one again.

My lovely bride bought me a single wheeled rotary edger for Christmas, with the proviso that I could opt for the two wheeled variety. (That one costs roughly ten dollars more.)

My question is this: Is there an advantage to the two wheeled variety and if so, what is the upside? I don't have a huge lawn/sidewalk area, so a single pass probably would be sufficient. I don't want to start using a single wheel only to find out I should have gone for the double... and now can't return the "used" one.

Any advice you can offer?

Bookmark   December 28, 2008 at 1:20PM
earthworm(6 Pennsylvania)

An idea, if, like me you have over 150 of edging to do, used a weed and grass killer at the edges.
Then as step two, use a hand unit right after a good rain.
This requires planning and some weather cooperation..
Another idea - till the edge area, use landscape fabric and plant alisium(sp?) as a border/ground cover.
For more half-baked ideas...............

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 9:46AM
robertbright_hotmail_com

I hAve a old hand rotary edger. It is a Ayers Edger. Made and patanted by George E. Ayers. It also has a date of 1902 on the handle. I don't have any use for it. Email me and let met know something.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 1:06PM
loger_gw

Derick, I feel the two wheels gives you better traction, balance or stability on the concrete or hard surfaces. I have owned two for touching-up vs serious trimming. Personally, I would hate to use one wheel. loger

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™