Caulk for Solar Dryer/Oven

robertz6July 19, 2011

I thought of making a Solar Dryer for my tomatoes. Reading suggests that electricity for store-bought ones runs up the actual cost quickly. In a few hours of reading up on the subject, other uses came to mind.

Making a high quality heating box, it might be possible to put it to three uses. Dryer, cooker, and window furnace in the winter.

One DIY type I saw on TV was a model using sand in soda cans. The maker said his temperature neared 400F.

I read all the labels at the big box store. Looking for a service range of 0-400 degrees F, could not find anything. Most tubes of caulk said nothing, one said it was suitable for -60to 250, and one said up to 150. Even the silicone stuff at $6.50 a tube did not appear to be suitable.

Any suggestions as to which type of caulk or other stuff to use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robertz6

Perhaps the first time I answered my own question. I found just the right caulk at Ace Hardware. Usually prefer the True Value chain, but Ace had a black silicone, service temp -60 to 400F. Really nice labels on their line of caulking products, a square box with the important info inside. Fifty cents cheaper than the GE stuff I saw yesterday at WalMart.

Some important info one can't read because of the tiny print all the various warnings encourage.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 5:31PM
andyma_gw

Permatex makes a 600'f Rtv. Orange

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 9:38PM
robertz6

I'll have to try the Permatex or something else. The black Ace Silicone worked better as a caulk than as a adhesive product. Might be OK on the wood seams, but on holding soda cans together, it didn't work very well.

One solar design used the cans forced together, without any glue or caulk.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™