How aggressive is Golden Creeping Jenny?

a2zmom(6a - nj)May 9, 2011

I have a new bed and I was thinking of planting this in the front. Does it play nicely with other perennials or will it overpower them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echinaceamaniac(7)

I gave my mom this plant last year. It's spreading in a wet, shady spot where she has Hydrangeas. I do not think this would overpower anything at all.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 4:24PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

its a freakin nightmare ... given a few years ...

though it does respond rather nicely to roundup ... and its generics ....

5 years later.. i am still irritated having bought it at a plant sale at a very famous arboretum ... they should have known better ...

OK.. got that off my chest ..... now the rest of you can tell me of its glories ....

ken

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 5:11PM
kimcoco

LOL. Ken, it's forbidden for planting where we live. I didn't know that at the time, but mine didn't survive simply because it was planted in a drought-ish area of my property.

If you are looking for an alternative, I'm extremely impressed with Angelina Sedum as a striking yellow groundcover. I have mine interplanted with a red groundcover sedum and it's performed beautifully for me, formed a nice carpet.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 8:02PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

I can agree with Ken on this one... It's a freakin' nightmare. While it looks great initially, if you ever want to change it out or get rid of it, you WON'T. It keeps reappearing every year no matter what you try to do to get rid of it. Wherever it touches any ground, it reattaches itself and roots right there, so you now have another one to worry about.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 5:42AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I have had it for many, many years in a number of beds--dry partial shade to moist full sun. Yes, you have to pull it back periodically, but a freaking nightmare? Never.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 6:08AM
WendyB(5A/MA)

I've had mine 3 years and so far so good. I pull it away around plants here and there and away from the lawn edge. I may still be in the honeymoon phase. Its looking very good right now before other stuff gets going.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 6:35AM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

A definite divide in opinion!

Sounds like sedum might be the safer option.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 10:44AM
hunt4carl

EXCEPT: Know that Sedum 'Angelina' - which I use a lot! - also spreads like
the Golden Jenny. If you drop the tiniest clipping as you cross the lawn, for example, soon enough you'll have a new colony where that "tiny piece" took
root. . .it has happened to me twice, so I'm just more vigilant now. The
distinct advantage of "Angelina" over "Jenny" (sounds like a cat fight!) is that
"Angelina" takes on beautiful russet tones in cooler weather and actually
looks wonderful during the winter. . .still, I use them both and simply keep
a watchful eye - "Angelina" in full sun, "Jenny" in partial shade.

Carl

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 1:18PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Golden/yellow creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia aurea) has mostly died out in a perennial bed here, but made up for it by spreading into adjacent lawn. It's not conspicuous in that area, but I can see it being a problem in, say, one's front yard where uniform turf is desired.

Or you could take advantage of the Lysimachia's spreading habit and combine it with Ajuga to achieve a LysimachiaAjugaLawn for a nice yellow, purple, blue and green patchwork quilt effect.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 1:47PM
WendyB(5A/MA)

talk about a catfight... that would be interesting to see which one wins between Lysimachia and Ajuga. Ajuga would get the edge in shade. Jenny in sun. In part-shade, let the catfight begin...

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 9:46PM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Angelina can root from a tiny piece, however it's easy to pull out while Jenny likes to sneak into the middle of other plants and then you have to dig up the other plant, wash the roots, go through them thoroughly looking for bits of Jenny, replant and pray you got it all or toss said infested plant. Hmm, let me think about that one! ( I have occasionally used Jenny in large pots where it looks lovely draping down the side, just clip it before it hits the ground.)

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 12:50PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have not have problems with either ajuga (in fact I wish mine were more aggressive) nor golden creeping jenny but...I have seen a bed where the creeping jenny was smothering other plants and the owner thought it was a freaking nightmare and told me not to plant it when I asked her about it.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 3:36PM
thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)

I disagree with Ken.
I've had it for 4 years. It will root wherever it touches the ground, so keep it away from your lawn.

Every couple of weeks, as you walk around your garden, grab a handful and tug if it starts wandering into areas you don't want it to be.

Here's a pic from my garden last year.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 3:11PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Mine has a huge preference for growing into the lawn. It has a nice soft loose bed it can grow in, but no, it prefers to run as fast as it can, and as far as it can, into the lawn.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 8:57PM
bobby1973

Given the plant's invasiveness, would it be appropriate to plant in a woodland garden? I have this large wooded area in the back of my new home. When I first moved in a few months ago, the wooded area was full of brush probably about 6-7' tall, under a canopy of mature, deciduous trees. I hired someone to clear all the brush in the winter and it looked beautiful until a month ago. Now I can see all the invasive green brush sprouting back up. So I'm in the process of spraying Roundup 'Brush Killer', wait 2-3 weeks, and then uproot all the brush. But I would like to convert that area to a beautiful woodland garden at some point. So I planted some 8' white pines, and I'm going to mix in some hostas, ferns, and astilbe. But I thought it would be great to have a colorful groundcover as well. I'm just wondering if Creeping Jenny would be a good option. It's invasiveness would certainly create a colorful 'carpet' quickly and hopefully help fight off the brush from coming back. I just don't know if the Jenny would compete with the surrounding hostas and ferns for moisture. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could kindly offer. Thank you!

bobby

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 2:35PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I planted several fist fulls of Lysimachia nummularia aurea and yellow Lamium maculatum last summer. Only a tiny piece of Lysimachia survived the winter whereas the yellow Lamium is growing beautifully. I am watching how much this piece of Lysimachia will grow this year.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 4:44PM
ms_xeno

Surprised to read that it's an invasive for so many people.

Mine has grown very slowly for years, gravitating towards a concrete path rather than where I try to direct it. I have a few small "islands" of it (rather than a big "carpet") that I move around from time to time. But that's it.

Maybe it dislikes the heavy clay (alkali rich?) soil around here. Or our summer nights are too cool and dry...? [shrug]

This post was edited by ms_xeno on Thu, May 22, 14 at 18:46

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 6:42PM
davids10 z7a nv.

i always find it amazing when a one inch tall plant makes 200 pound guys-or gals-go wah wah wah

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 12:44AM
molex

I'm currently pitting creeping golden jenny Vs creeping thyme in a moist part shade walkway area, winner take all

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:49AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It is not invasive in Central Texas. It needs to be coddled with irrigation and soil amendments. I look at lawns as an unpleasant invasive.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 10:15AM
sleevendog

Cat fight, haha.
It is doing well for me. Going right back on and around a stone woodland path. Slowly.
Where not much would take in soggy shade except a bit of rue, astilbes, and ferns off to the side of the path. Everybody is welcome on that path. Jenny can be walked on without harm.
I like its contrasting color in shade.
I was concerned about Ajuga for a couple years as it was winning but up and disappeared one year. I kinda miss it.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 10:35AM
MilaB

I love my creeping jenny! For five years it was very mellow, didn't spread at all despite me wanting it to. Then in the last years it has taken off more (wet years). But not in a way I can't manage (though it definitely requires some weeding around other small plants). I don't have it anywhere near lawn, so I can't speak to that. It seems to be more bountiful in full sun (I have it in a variety of light conditions). Lot of clay in my soil, I don't know if that slows it down more.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 12:44PM
davids10 z7a nv.

jenny and ajuga hanging out together

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 2:59PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

It's a freakin' nightmare. ;)

A relatively slow-motion horror show, but if you like your lawn gradually turning a speckled yellow it's just the thing for you. My Lysimachia-lawn about 8 years after it first escaped, now covers about 15 square feet but it's in an inconspicuous area.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 7:48PM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

This is how much mine has grown in 5 years.

Aggressive? No, not for me. Hopeful? Yep. It's getting a bit more sun now, so I'm sure it will do a little better. Seems the key to me is keeping it in more shade and less sun, oh, and clay soil. That seems to tame the beast a bit, as well. Mine is in amended clay.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™