Pink Diamond Hydrangea Tree

ceeview(6)February 17, 2012

Hello,

I have a Pink Diamond Hydrangea tree that was planted in 2006. When I received it, it was about 3'-4' tall. It blooms every year but what I don't understand is why it doesn't get any taller. It is no more than 5' tall if that and I just don't understand it. It's get sun and it's fertilized.....any suggestions? When it was purchased, I was under the impression that it was supposed to get to a mature height of at least 15' high! This April it would have been planted for 8 years! I can say that I've never pruned it but I didn't know that I needed to. I'm also in CT but that shouldn't have anything to do with it because it blooms....very beautiful!

Thank You,

Cynthia

P.S. I read an article that talked about 'winter' fertilizing trees but I didn't know that was a best practice. I always thought fertilizing was done in the spring and summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Pink Diamond is a cultivar of Hydrangea paniculata and is a shrub rather than a tree. (Let's not restart the discussion on the difference between the two - I think most people understand what it means in common parlance). I have had a quick Google and in the first 5 hits the mature height was given as a max of 3m (ca 10 feet). Some sources give the mature height as 2.5m. I think you have been labouring under a misapprehension as to what this shrub will look like when fully grown. Yours sounds as if it is behaving exactly as it should.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Diamond

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 12:22PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Might have been bought grown on a single stem, therefore "tree". Should be building height over time, although stems will tend to bend over.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 6:18PM
ceeview(6)

Thanks to all for your comments. Yes...there obviously has been some misrepresentation from the vendor. When it was purchased, it was stated that the mature height was anywhere between 10'-15' in 6 to 7 years.

CeeView

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 3:52PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

there obviously has been some misrepresentation from the vendor.

===>>>

maybe.. maybe not.. if he is in a more temperate location.. as compared to CT.. then maybe it has greater potential down south ...

if your growing season is 5 months.. and his is 8 months.. you should be able to see that his trees can grow larger than your trees ...

ken

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:37AM
ceeview(6)

The vendor was Cottage Farms. This was not purchased as a shrub but as a tree. What I'm seeing that they're selling now is the Limelight and the Quickfire Hydrangea tree. These as well are supposed to get to a mature height of 8' - 10'.

Thanks,
CeeView

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 1:53PM
mrgpag

Tree form may be a better description - relating to a plant grown with a single stem - as these plants are considered shrubs rather than trees. I have a number of hydrangea paniculata that I've grown into a tree form with the tallest being about 7 foot tall in mid summer growth - but I prune mine back every spring so I'm keeping them short. If not pruned annually, I would think the stems would be very prone to breaking. My experience with Pink Diamond is that it's a very vigorous grower with annual stem growth at least 3 foot.

I see the same form with physocarpus opulifolius - Ninebark - being offered - especially Diablo.

Marshall

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™