Small electric tiller

rdmusc(8)July 1, 2012

Looking to purchase. I probably have 60 square feet I am working with and not a lot of money. Been looking at the small corded electrics from the box stores. What is the experience with these? I can't do $300 to $500 for the gas powered ones and not sure that these wouldn't be overkill.

Thanks,

Richard Muscarello

Baton Rouge, LA 70809

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

Hi Richard,

With only 60 square feet, you probably don't need an electric powered tool. There are several hand tools that can do a better, deeper job than the electric tools, and you don't have to fuss with an electric cord. The Yard Butler TNT-4 Garden Twist and Till lets you put your foot in it to push the tines into the soil. The Garden Weasel Garden Claw doesn't have a step-through, but has similar capability. Incidentally, I saw a garden claw at Lowe's Home Store with the step-through feature, but don't recall the brand of it.

A good spading fork can do a good job of working the soil, and you can go much deeper with a spading fork than you can with any tiller, electric or gas. And you can work in closer quarters with a spading fork. Good hand tools can be very cost effective and just plain effective.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 5:42PM
loger_gw

60 Sq. Ft., Two Mules And A Middle Buster If your health will allow The Mules To Exercise. LOL!

The Grand and Granny are gardening above ground that IâÂÂll have to build a cart for to allow moving and grass cutting. Good Luck!

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:51PM
txtom50(8a texas)

I'm with the other folks about a tiller not being necessary for a 60 sq ft plot. Don't know how soon you want to start gardening (this fall or next spring) but if you could heap up a bunch of grass clippings and chopped up leaves on your garden area, leave it in place for several months, it would make soil prep a lot easier. It should kill out most of the grass that's in place also.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 5:36AM
More Discussions
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™