Welding is not always the best solution or faster IMO

loger_gwJuly 5, 2012

Welding is not always the best solution or faster IMO. A 1" X 1/16" thick Square Tubing "Yard Pole Hanging Plat Stand" (7 ft high above ground) was dropped off for a repair. The request was that it be welded where it broke at ground level. At that point a 3/8" round finger was welded and went out 6", down 8-10" to keep it from turning. I was tempter to chop-saw the tubing square and clean to simply weld it.

With plenty bolts, nuts, and 1" X 1/8" thick angle I decided to drill and bolt it "All" back together. I have solid steel and thicker angle but d/n want to overkill the repair (since I d/n have 3/4" or 1" rebar). I simply used two 5/16 bolts/washers/nuts to bolt 2 ft of 1" angle at the bottom. 8" is lapped, 16 " will go in the ground with a 6" angle stop bolted at the bottom bolt (to resist twisting). This will allow the son-in-law to know he is qualified to do the next repair. LOL.

Pop Rivets and heavy rivets to brad are even better for some jobs vs welding IMO.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

When I started at my latest job, I spied a MIG welder all apart and under the work table. Nobody knew how to fix it or use it. I had it running the same day and much of the problem was from a bad gun which was replaced a few weeks later.

Before I came, any broken part was thrown out and replaced from, sometimes Germany, since it's all German equipment. Not much of a consolation in a 24/7 operation when you need a part today. Minimum cost for parts starts at several hundred to thousands of dollars.

In this case, a welder is a lifesaver.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 9:19PM
lbpod

And I built a plasma cutter out of Momma's
old sewing machine. SO THERE!!!

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 9:11AM
loger_gw

Some welding is the way to go and a true lifesaver. Half of the needs that come in my home's garage are lightweight metals that have stress cracks or rott. Lots of wrought Iron work and minor machinery cracks. I use my welders when needed. Otherwise, I like to show them there are options to welding. A good example: The cheap wrought iron fence panels that were wire welded and breaks the first time the mower or etc hits a picket. I get a call to re-weld it miles away. Knowing the fence and its quality, I take some self-taping screws. On a heavier needs away from my garage I will usually explore bolting or pass on helping.

Please give a summary of using a sewing machine to build a plasma cutter or share good links. My wife has more family machines than she can use due to the younger generation not being interested in sewing. I would be interested in using one vs donating most of them.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 11:01AM
lbpod

I didn't really build a plasma cutter out of Momma's
sewing machine. I was just funnin with ya, cause
it seemed that this thread was turning into a
'bragathon'.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Building storage shed on a terraced slope
Is it safe to build a storage shed occupying two levels...
Thomas Lu
Stihl Chainsaw - starts but won't run
My trusty (10 yr) old Stihl 16" chainsaw is starting...
uberfusion
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
Sponsored Products
Unbranded Metalux 48 in. White T8 Slim Profile Undercabinet Light UC48T8132
$42.97 | Home Depot
AHB Silvano Bar Stool - Flint - 130923FL
$99.95 | Hayneedle
Real Wood Vertical Blinds. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Oversize Alphabet� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Early
$255.95 | Bellacor
Madeira Outdoor Sofa Cover - Sand
$339.50 | FRONTGATE
Free-Pad Traditional Antiqued Heriz 9' X 12' Hand Knotted Oriental Wool H4015
BH Sun Inc
Illumine Designer Collection 28 in. Silver Desk Lamp with Silver Metal Shade CLI
$63.99 | Home Depot
Surya Naya MST-1 Striations Area Rug - Wine/Orange - MST1-23
$110.45 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™