how to sharpen blades on reel mower

joannpalmyraJuly 19, 2010

I've asked the gentleman who owns the local lawn service but he says he doesn't have the tools to sharpen the blades on my reel lawnmower. It also needs a new ruber cover for the wood rolling dowel. Any ideas? ~JoAnn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kompressor

This is not a DIY task unless you have someone who is trained, teach you how to do it plus you need the proper files. I suggest that you use your Yellow Page directory and look under "sharpening". Phone around. Talk to people that are in the blade sharpening business. Not all will have the motorized equipment to sharpen the reels and bed knives but they may know of someone who does.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 5:42PM
joannpalmyra

Thanks very much. :)
So I guess my $10 deal wasn't such a deal after all. Oh well.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 8:01PM
masiman(z7 VA)

They can be sharpened if you want to try it:

Lee Valley Reel Mower Sharpening Info

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 4:42PM
ggoyeneche

The post above is not true sharpening, but rather backlapping. In any case backlapping requires a fair amount of skill to properly set the reel relative to the bedknife. I agree with the first post.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:15PM
loger_gw

This will take a true craftsman from the 50s 60s before the power mowers became popular and knows the values of files. The adjustments or sharpening are not hard or bad if you have some mechanical "Hands On" skills. I cheat with some power tools sharpening now (when I can to save time on excessive needs) but I have and value my variety of files and experience. IÂm sure grass keepers associated with Golf Courses will know the skills and would possibly share the skills. Where is your 65 Â70 year old Neighborhood Handyman if you live where grass has always been popular to care for?

The rubber on the dowel can probably be fitted with water hose from an Auto Store or hose from Home Depot (HD will probably have the best price).

loger

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™