Dogwood Tree Layering - When to cut & transplant?

love_savannahFebruary 19, 2010

Last summer I used the layering method on 2 suckers on our Dogwood Tree. It appears that both attempts were successful. They're only about 12 inches high.

My question is when should I cut them away from the mother tree and transplant them? Also, I'd prefer to plant them in pots until they become larger. Is this a bad idea?

Has anyone used this method of propagation for Dogwood Trees. I was just wondering what to expect down the road. Thanks in advance.

Bon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

Air or ground layering? What spp.? How extensive are the roots? Do you have secondary roots?

Dan

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 1:56PM
love_savannah

Dan, it was ground layering. I dug a shallow trench for each sucker, gently bent them over and down into their respective holes, covered them with soil and placed a block of wood on top. They were watered there twice a week with the underground sprinkler system.

It's a white dogwood tree, that's all I know. They're very common here in Georgia.

I haven't dug them up yet as I didn't want to disturb them until it was time to transplant them. I just pulled on them to see if they had roots. Since they resisted, I'm assuming there are roots down there.

When you say secondary roots, what exactly do you mean? Should I go dig them up to check out the root system and then recover them?

Thanks for your help, Dan. I appreciate it.

PS
Last year I attempted air layering our Bloodgood Japanese Maple. I messed that up big time!

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 2:44PM
Dan Staley

Secondary roots are tiny fibrous roots. Some dogwoods layer well, others don't. You want to cut and transplant-pot in dormancy. Gently pull back soil and if you see lots of tiny hair-like roots, you're good. This method has been used for centuries, esp in the orchard trade in the past.

Dan

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 5:12PM
love_savannah

Thank you so much, Dan. It's supposed to be nice again tomorrow. I'm going out there in hopes of finding lots of tiny, hair-like roots. If so, I'm going to try this with the other 2 suckers that I left standing.

Thanks again, you're a peach!

Bon

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 5:55PM
Dan Staley

:o)

Dan

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Evergreen Shade and Privacy Trees for Houston Texas
I live in Spring, Texas, which is in climate zone 8b....
duren27
Miliusa sinensis
Small tree of interesting flowers.
jujujojo_gw
Graft incompatibility sugar maple
Recently had a commemoration sugar maple installed...
othertime
Just bought a house. Need help identifying trees!
Hello all, I have no real knowledge of tree types and...
gavinhall
Landscaping pine forest back yard
Hi, We have a house and the backyard is entire pine...
soc_jones
Sponsored Products
Silk Brown Wreath - 22"
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
White Hall Dogwood Ceramic Oval Vertical Address Plaque - 2636RD
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Blossom Lattice Area Rug
Grandin Road
Dogwood on Turquoise III Gallery Wrapped Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Brown Leaf Mat
Grandin Road