Removing recoil starter on 1998 model 32cc Craftsman weedwacker

donaldjr1969July 14, 2007

Hello. I have a 32cc Craftsman weedeater from 1998 that has not ran right for a few seasons now. Four days ago, I got so mad at it that I threw it across the yard. I have since replaced it with a nice Stihl FS90R. However, I wanted to tear this engine apart and really see if anything was wrong internally.

While I got the head off and inspected the cylinder walls, I could not remove the recoil starter. I must have inadvertently unhooked the spring assembly because the rope will not rewind and there is no tension. I assume it is because the driven member of the clutch is blocking the cover. All bolts I can find are off right now. Do I need to remove part or all of the clutch assemly first? Or is there another trick? I do not have the model number handy but I will get it posted later on this evening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fisher40037

Not knowing exactly which model you have, but yes, you will have to remove the clutch. Use some starter rope
with knots in it, stuffed in the spark plug hole to lock the piston while you get the clutch off with a set of
channel lock pliers. Take note what comes off and the order it comes off in
Fish

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Waterproofing a basement
I get water in my basement just about every spring...
huskymaniacny
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
Mantis Tiller purge bulb
I cannot get gasoline to come into the purge bulb....
Alice40
Sponsored Products
Neo-Industrial Rubbed Bronze One-Light Pendant with Opal White Schoolhouse Glass
$109.90 | Bellacor
Volt Orange 24 x 24 Decorative Pillow
$80.95 | Bellacor
Electri-Chef Island 48 in. Built-In Electric Grill - 8800-EC-1056-I-D-48IN
Hayneedle
Giana Fabric Jewelry Box
Grandin Road
White Baffle Channel 200-Thread Count Featherbed & Cover
$59.99 | zulily
Zephyr 30W in. Terazzo Under Cabinet Range Hood - ZTE-E30AS
$499.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™