Asters

saturn1956(6)May 5, 2013

Is it to late to transplant and divide asters mine is close to a huge Daisey plant and I would like to move it and possibly divide it as well

saturn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

No, I don't think it's too late if you are talking about fall-blooming Asters. I have found they are easily divided and transplanted. However, try to transplant on a day that is cloudy or even drizzly and keep well watered before and after. Easier on the plant.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:34PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Asters are incredibly easy to divide and transplant. As terrene mentioned above, keep them well watered for a few weeks after transplant and they will hardly skip a beat.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:38PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Are they really all that easy? I've been eyeing a clump of Purple Dome that is getting large, but I've hesitated to divide them because of past experiences trying to dig out native asters. I've never dug out cultivated varieties so I don't know if there is a difference. It was extremely difficult to dig them up (the natives), quite frankly, and I'm not up to doing that just now with the Purple Dome. I keep telling myself that the clump will only get bigger and even less easy to dig, but maybe it won't be so bad...?

Dee

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:53PM
calistoga_al

Digging up an old clump of Purple Dome will be physically difficult but worth doing, and you can do it now. Al

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 9:55AM
linaria_gw

I grow some Purple Dome, in their second year. They do spread, but at a nice pace, by rhizomes. My dad swears by chopping a piece of perennial out of the established plant, (an wedge-shaped part, cut by spade and then lifted somehow), so the older plant just keeps on. you can fill the gap left by the lifted part with fresh compost, and divide and replant the rest.

Well, good luck with your nice Aster,

bye, Lin

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™