pot size for mini?

queenbee_1(7)May 14, 2012

A few days after Valentine's Day, I was at a local nursery and they had tiny mini rose bushes is 4" pots.. LOTS of them for 2$ each... I picked them them--finding ones, I thought were healthy--a deep red and a nice med. pink one.. I brought them home--sprayed, re potted and placed them in a sunny window-where they sat until Easter- then they were moved out side! Well, they had grown so much I just re potted them again in to 14" pots.. The blooms are only 1/2" long and look like prefect mini HT blooms.. Any idea how large of a pot they really need? Will these bushes grow to full size w/ tiny blooms? Should I go ahead and plant them in a bed somewhere?? Thank you for any suggestions, ideas, thoughts??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Evidently "mini" rose bushes you find in 4 inch pots may or may not be real "minis". If you like them, I would plant them in a bed near the front, and see what happens!

Jackie

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 2:01PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

My neighbor buys those and plants them in her garden. Some of them are 6' tall!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 3:18PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

With yearly root pruning and top pruning, can miniatures be maintained in 1 gallon pots and rebloom?

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 8:03PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Musaboru -- In California, the only roses you can keep healthy PERMANENTLY in 1-G pots would be Micro-Miniatures. Micro-Minis are pretty neat plants, though, and I think may soon be more available than in the past.

Your average "Miniature" rose can (as noted above) make a 6-ft. plant, tho the blooms remain relatively small. We killed our first Miniatures, long ago, because we did not understand that.

For a permanent situation, I'd really recommend a 14-inch pot as a MINIMUM. Larger = Better.

Note, this is in California. I have NOT grown roses in colder zones with a shorter growing season.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:44PM
seil zone 6b MI

I'm in Michigan and I have to agree with Jeri, bigger is better. Most of my minis are in pots that are about 18 to 20 inches in size. I found the ones in smaller pots don't grow as well and don't winter as well either.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Help, something eating the tips of my rose buds
Help. I don't have a camera, so I will try to describe...
nickjoseph
Teasing Georgia as a pruned shrub
So I have been reading on here about growing TG as...
kingcobbtx9b
Why did all the leaves on my rose just fall off?
I was able to propagate a rose from my daughters wedding...
soranch
Wax on rose
In mid-January, I bought a bareroot rose from Lowes...
Gary
Chyrsler Imperial
Planted last year.
deervssteve
Sponsored Products
Hip To Be Square Plant Pots - Set of 3
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Nestled Planters in Walnut
$62.99 | Dot & Bo
Yellow Tulip Paper Pot Arrangement
$17.99 | zulily
Executive Zero-Radius Rectangular Stainless Steel Undermount Sink
Signature Hardware
Safavieh Runner Rug: Anatolia Ivory 2' 3" x 14'
Home Depot
Blue Marrakesh Cauldron Planter
$19.99 | zulily
Half Moon Shaped Cedar Planter
Signature Hardware
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Brown 8 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™