pot size for mini?

queenbee_1(7)May 14, 2012

A few days after Valentine's Day, I was at a local nursery and they had tiny mini rose bushes is 4" pots.. LOTS of them for 2$ each... I picked them them--finding ones, I thought were healthy--a deep red and a nice med. pink one.. I brought them home--sprayed, re potted and placed them in a sunny window-where they sat until Easter- then they were moved out side! Well, they had grown so much I just re potted them again in to 14" pots.. The blooms are only 1/2" long and look like prefect mini HT blooms.. Any idea how large of a pot they really need? Will these bushes grow to full size w/ tiny blooms? Should I go ahead and plant them in a bed somewhere?? Thank you for any suggestions, ideas, thoughts??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Evidently "mini" rose bushes you find in 4 inch pots may or may not be real "minis". If you like them, I would plant them in a bed near the front, and see what happens!

Jackie

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 2:01PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

My neighbor buys those and plants them in her garden. Some of them are 6' tall!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 3:18PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

With yearly root pruning and top pruning, can miniatures be maintained in 1 gallon pots and rebloom?

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 8:03PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Musaboru -- In California, the only roses you can keep healthy PERMANENTLY in 1-G pots would be Micro-Miniatures. Micro-Minis are pretty neat plants, though, and I think may soon be more available than in the past.

Your average "Miniature" rose can (as noted above) make a 6-ft. plant, tho the blooms remain relatively small. We killed our first Miniatures, long ago, because we did not understand that.

For a permanent situation, I'd really recommend a 14-inch pot as a MINIMUM. Larger = Better.

Note, this is in California. I have NOT grown roses in colder zones with a shorter growing season.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:44PM
seil zone 6b MI

I'm in Michigan and I have to agree with Jeri, bigger is better. Most of my minis are in pots that are about 18 to 20 inches in size. I found the ones in smaller pots don't grow as well and don't winter as well either.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
I will be converting my rose garden this spring
After two brutal winters where temperatures have reached...
dmoore66
Questions about Blaze climbing rose
Hello. I am thinking of putting a Blaze climbing rose...
suz9601
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™