B&S engine choice delima

blackops1(7)April 19, 2011

I'm trying to decide between these 2 B&S V-twin engines. The "Professional grade" 24hp, 724cc, model 44M777, type 0790 B1, code 100 126YC. And the "Platinum" 24hp, 724cc, XRD series, model 445677, type 2188 G1, code 101019YG. Per the sears ecatalog viewer flash brochure the main selling points of the professional engine compared to the platinum seems to be the pro has a superpolished "ride" bearing for longer life. Not sure what bearing this is, maybe the engine main bearing? It also has a chrome polated exhaust value for longer life & mechanical compression release for easier starting. I think both engines are still "consumer grade"?? Which is probably fine for the .75 acre I'm mowing but since they come on different mowers:

model 247.289800 and 917.288570 I'm trying to get the best for long term. I tried to include html links to the two mowers but it became jumbled. Their easy to find off the craftsman website its the PYT9000 w/42 inch cut and off sears.com its the 288570 w/46 inch cut.

Which engine do you prefer and why? Thanks!

Dan.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcmoser

First off why do you need an engine? Warranty or buying it out right? I would shop around (net) first. IMO I wouldn't get the one with compression release, unless it cheap, you know how to adjusts valves, and add another system to maintain and increases failure rate. Ride bearing IMO would probably be crank bearings Which IMO would be good, but if you changed the oil reqularly, based on severe conditions chart (you have to deside if your mowing in dusty conditions)it wouldn't be problem.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 6:54AM
BriggsGalaxieman

I agree with rcmoser on the compression release. You don't need it. I have two of these engines (446777) and there is no problem cranking them. The compression release is just something else to fail...

No matter which one you buy your results will depend on how diligently you maintain the engine (oil, oil filter, air filter and debris removal)...

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 10:17AM
bluemower

The 44m777 engine uses the round push on air filter. My opinion is this is superior to the design used on the other engine. I don't know about the other features.

The 445677 engine uses the flat air filter. This design had issues with the air filter housing warping and allowing dirt to leak around the filter.

The 247 model tractor was manufactured by MTD.
The 917 model is an AYP/Electrolux/Husqvarna design.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 11:58PM
blackops1(7)

Thanks for the reponses all. Looks like my research continues. Where do I find recalls on the air filter issue? I will be doing all the required maintence as scheduled defiantely. Hoping to get 10 yrs of service!

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 9:37AM
walt2002

You fellows who are saying, "You don't need the compression release" might want to research your subject a little more. ALL B&S engines, 8 hp and up at least, have some form of compression release. Question is whether it is a passive system or an active one with moving parts.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Dead cylinder
So I have a Briggs & Stratton Engine model number:...
RebornGreen
Ford 1210 hydrostatic clattering when engaged
Is it possible someone is up on this subject here?...
jaceymae
Everybody getting enough seat time with the snow?
I know I am, way too much and compared to New England,...
exmar
JD 30inch mechanical tiller VS. 42 inch hydraulic tiller ??
I have read and posted different threads on these two...
cjsm5nys
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™