Budding

whaas_5a(5A SE WI)February 3, 2014

What is the purpose/advantage of grafting a bud versus a scion?

At first I was told budding was differeint than grafting but budding is simply a grafting technique.

Can't seem to readily find my answer figured someone here would know off hand.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

I don't specifically know the answer, but I believe it is due to the fact that a scion will yield at most one grafted plant. While the same scion may have 6-10 buds, and therefore 6-10 potential grafted plants. Even if you have an additional 20% failure rate, bud grafting would produce many more grafted plants.

Arktrees

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 3:00PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

In many cases, the percentage of successful takes is higher with budding than with many other types of grafting. Budding can require less time than other techniques (and is actually easier than many grafting techniques). A wider variety of branch sizes can be used, and, as Arktrees said, there is more graftable material available for budding. Bud grafts are less susceptible to mechanical damage.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 3:45PM
wildforager(5b-WI)

With your typical fruit tree grafting a scion of dormant wood is used and grafted onto a plant has recently broken dormancy. With budding a shield with a single bud is cut from actively growing material and leaves removed. It is then grafted to an actively growing plant. Budding can be a nice 2nd chance if you didn't have a take when bench grafting.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 10:16PM
akamainegrower

In general, the timing for bud grafting is more critical. T-budding, the most common technique, requires that the bark "slip"where the bud is to be inserted. Determining when this will happen requires a certain amount of experience as it can vary considerably from species to species abd year to year.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 6:18AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'll bet the timing issue may have something to do with some people considering budding more challenging. Of course other grafting techniques also have timing issues, maybe just not as critical.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 8:47AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

All, thanks for the info!

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Walnut tree in Berkeley?
I'm trying to find a walnut tree to draw in Berkeley...
terry94705
Newly planted Leyland Cypress browning on top
I live in South Carolina- clay soil, and just planted...
justjewels19
Sick Cherry tree
One of our cherry trees has these weird bumps/exposed...
mariberi
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Hair, did you plant out your metasequoia?
And how are they wintering? I started some MG's early...
jayhawkfan56
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™