Honda Tiller F 501-Transmission Water seal installation

georger(Z5a On, Canada)July 21, 2006

Transmission oil is leaking through the wheel shaft in the transmission on the honda 501 Tiller.

Anybody knows how to remove the old one and install a new one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

George,

You are probably inquiring about an oil seal and not a water seal. When you say, "Transmission oil is leaking through the wheel shaft" do you mean the tine shaft? Do you have the Honda FG501 Tiller Shop Manual? (I'm assuming you meant FG501 and not F501.) You can usually find shop manuals for sale on eBay.

MM

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 6:08PM
georger(Z5a On, Canada)

I have the shop manual. It describes it as water seal, though oil is inside. May be to block water from entering!

But the shop manual doesn't elaborate on how to remove the seal, as there is a metal case covering it.
Should I remove the metal part? How?
thanks

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 12:59AM
maineman(z5a ME)

George,

I don't have a Honda tiller, so I won't guess how to remove and replace the transmission seals. If you ordered the replacement seals from Honda, they might come with instructions for removing the old seals and for installing the new seals.

MM

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 12:38AM
sodslinger

can someone tell me how to change the seals on this tiller , can I just take the tines off orr do I need to take the tranny apart
thanks
shawn

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 4:27PM
Rotovator

Hi sodslinger. Did you ever find out how to remove these bearings as I have the same problem. Regards Mark

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 12:04PM
loger_gw

Post some Pictures or links of the need. If they are basic seals, I feel tips are on the way.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 7:15PM
fredbarber(z4 CO & z6 MA)

Mark, I had to change them on my F401, which is basically the same machine, a few years older, with a smaller engine, I think. As I recall (it's been a few years) I had to remove the stamped steel dirt cover first. I couldn't figure out how to do it without carefully bending the tabs that hold the two halves together to release them. I then pried out the old seals with a screwdriver or something. I cleaned the axles as best I could before putting the new ones on to avoid damaging them, but there was some roughness from corrosion that I couldn't get off. Doesn't seem to have mattered -- the new seals pressed in just fine and don't leak. It was a little nerve wracking due to the lack of good instructions in the service manual (yes, I have one) but not really a difficult repair. And I love the tiller. (Mine even has reverse gear, which they later eliminated due to product liability concerns. Does yours?)

Good luck!

Fred

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™