Shimming drive shaft in older (s/n 81625) Troy bilt horse

ronj47July 15, 2011

How do I measure the play to determine the amount of shim? The manual describes grabbing the front of the shaft but doesn't say whether or not to have the transmission in gear. With the transmission in gear, I have about 0.020" of play in the drive shaft. In neutral, I have about 0.25" of play. Many Thanks for any wisdom shared.

Ron

BTW, anyone venture a guess at when this Horse was built?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nod702(z7Tenn.)

I have an older Horse with the Clinton cast iron engine and when i did mine about two years ago, i put the transmission in neutral. I made the shims out of aluminum flashing. Not sure if i did it right, but it's still going and i put out a big garden every year.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 7:12AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

1/1974 Time oil get on bearing that long shaft heated up .020 going to be gone I say .020 about right. you call call toll free 1-800-609-5110. Bill Rodgers. He dealer Troy Bilt.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 11:23AM
ronj47

Many Thanks for the tips. I'm learning more each day and will share as I progress. Just found out that all five seals on the transmission are shot so I'm biting the proverbial bullet and will open up the transmission to inspect the gears when I replace the seals. If the shims are installed with the tranny in neutral, I'm going to need about a dozen of the thick ones. That seems a bit excessive so I'm starting to suspect that I may have severe gear wear. More when I get it open. I may get to know Bill very well before this is over. ;-) Again, thanks.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 5:58AM
More Discussions
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™