How About Composting Sea Shells?

bogey123April 20, 2007

I purchased a few bags of compost to top dress my rose garden with and the stuff had bits of sea shells in it. The product is called "Coast of Maine".

I would think it would take a long time to break them down in a pile but was curious to know if anyone had a view on this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pablo_nh(z4/5 NH)

In a hot pile, they can be composted. Of course, crushing first helps. They may act as a slow liming agent if pieces remain intact- taking quite a long time to work.

I have composted heavy clam shells, lobster shells, steamahs, shrimp shells, and a variety of other bivalves and oceanic insects. Heavy clam shells take longest, lobster, crab, and shrimp shells disintegrate quickly.

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 4:34PM
bogey123

I was at the garden center today and saw that they had bags of lobster compost which contained quantities of lobster shells amongst other things.

In the bag of compost I mentioned earlier the shells were all broken up.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 5:04PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Mussels and oysters stay around a long time. But I think they're quite decorative around the garden.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 5:09PM
kandm(8b coastal alabama)

Whenever I go to a local oyster bar I always ask for extra shells they have laying around. I usually get about 5 take out boxes packed full. I go home, boil, bleach soak, rinse and decorate the garden!

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 6:29PM
tclynx

I would not go to extra effort to add lots of shells to my home compost bin but I'm sure that compost comming from a facility that takes the waste off of a seafood processing would have lots of shells in it. Not a bad thing especially if you need some extra calcium or lime in your garden anyway.

Some kinds of shells will definitely take a long time to compost since they are not so much organic anymore but mineralized and instead of composting, they are really just slowly dissolving.

Here is a link that might be useful: My compost

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 10:00PM
annpatt

Lots of things take a long time to decompose, but so what? You've got an eternity to make compost. I have tons of shells in my garden that came with my seaweed. If their whiteness offends me, and sometimes it does, I toss a trowel full of soil over them.

Lobster shells, though, get a bad rap. They do not take as long to break down as people suppose they might.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 8:28AM
PaulNS(NS zone 6a)

What I've found is that if they're right in the pile, crab shells don't take long (a couple seasons) to become crumbly, lobster shells next, oyster shells a long time after, and mussel shells are better for decorating the beds.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Clay
Moving to a new home with a blank canvas and landscape...
dnamama
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
Jar Test
What's your analysis of my jar test. It seems I have...
jon2412
Kitty litter in compost
I use wheat kitty litter and we mostly flush it down...
yugoslava
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™