heavy duty digging fork challenge

turbo_tpl(z7a Richland WA)July 7, 2010

I've just been through two so-called heavy duty forks, and both had the same problem occur nearly immediately with the first use - the head pops out of the handle. These forks just have a male-female connection in which the head slides into the hollow end of the fork. This is an awful design, and only useful for throwing straw and the like. Once it breaks, there is no way (that I've figured out) to repair it for heavy use.

I need a fork that will break heavy, compacted, rocky, root-filled Virginia clay soils. I usually double or triple dig my landscaping beds and holes for planting trees. Therefore, it needs to be able to handle me essentially throwing my weight on it to break the soil.

Any thoughts/suggestions? I've seen broadforks that look like they might be promising. Are there designs that are a single piece, rather than two pieces with a crappy connection between the two (e.g. glue)?

Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

Can you drill thru the wood, ferrule and the tang and put a pin thru it all?

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 8:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

Turbo,

A good spading fork will be expensive. A couple of candidates are the Clarington Strapped Garden Fork and the deWit Store Forged Four-Tine Digging Fork. However, I am still shopping for a heavy duty spading fork, myself. I have broken the handle out of a couple of "ordinary" spading forks, and wonder if the handle itself shouldn't be made out of steel or titanium.

ZM

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Mantis tiller will not idle
Picked up a used Mantis (SV-4/A engine) that will just...
ccarlsonnh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™