pruning questions

ugabulldogFebruary 25, 2012

I need help with pruning trees please. They were purchased this yr from a nursery as 4'-5' standard bare root trees, then shipped to me. Branches were already cut some on all trees when they arrived (not sure if this was for easier shipping or what as you had to pay extra to have trees pruned at nursery.) We did pay extra to have both cherry trees pruned but not the apples. I have looked at pruning instructions etc and am still confused (probaly more so because I don't see the reason for the nursery pruning or not pruning, the cherry trees the way they did?) Any help is much appreciated. ps. we did buy from what was supposed to be a very reputable nursery.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/582397289UcnJvE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Sounds like orchard fruits, try the GW fruit forum.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 2:20PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I think I would have asked for credit on the two cherry trees. Their form is pitiful from what I can see in the pictures. The double leader issue needs to be addressed (one leader removed). The crotch angles on some of the apple tree limbs should also be addressed this spring. I like the limb spreaders from Treeform Products (I think I've been buying them through Peach Ridge Orchard Supply). Increasing the crotch angles improves crotch strength and can help control growth of temporary and scaffold branches. Without being there, it's a little hard to tell, but I think the large branch (top branch) on apple #1 needs to be trimmed way back or even removed. I'd just remove it completely at this point.

You do need to start learning how to prune, and you need to start training/correcting crotch angles, but you don't need to do much pruning at this point on the apple trees. I would leave everything except may that one branch I mentioned earlier, at this point. Removing more than that will only rob your tree of resources it needs to get established and grow. Pruning at, or right after, planting is "old school" and has largely been shown to be detrimental in most cases.

Where'd you get these trees from? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it was from a less-reputable supplier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limb Spreaders at Peach Ridge Orchard Supply

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 5:06PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i can tell you.. right here.. two things.. maybe more...

we do not prune newly planted trees ... but maybe fruit peeps do .. think as every single leaf as a food making machine.. to grow the roots needed to produce fruit in 2 or 3 years ... MAYBE in fall.. except for damaged or crossing branches ...

and it looks to me like that cherry tree is too deep.. you need the trunk/root flare at ground level ... but that grass may be an optical illusion ...

ken

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Beech tree in NJ
I am in the process of re-foresting my backyard with...
johniferous
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™