What are your favorite garden knives

LavenderThymeJuly 9, 2013

I don't mind using scissors for harvesting my thyme, calendula, lemon balm, and other small, tender stemmed herbs but my hand really starts to hurt when I'm heavily into the lavender.

I'm looking for some knives that I can use to harvest lavender, large amounts of comfrey, mullein, and other larger/woodier stemmed herbs.

Does anyone have any favorites? I don't mind having a variety for different applications but I don't really know where to begin when looking.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
txtom50(8a texas)

I have a Buck 303 Cadet pocket knife that handles everything in my vegetable garden except cabbage stems. It holds an edge really well and is easy enough to sharpen with a good sharpening steel. Bucks black handle knives have much better steel and workmanship than their brown handle grade knives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buck Cadet

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 6:21AM
exmar

I had one of these for years, then I lost or misplaced it. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see they have a variety of knives. Not "shilling" for Amazon, but this allows you to look at different ones.
Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Knife

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 4:34PM
robertz6

I would look at safety first. It is amazing what dangerous knives stores will sell without a sheaf or a decent handle. I paid three bucks for a so-called melon knife in the grocery closeout isle. Cheap lightweight plastic handle, but serrated blade was sharper than a razor blade. Moved my hand once in the sink and the blade cut halfway thru my finger.

I have used the rubberized products found at hardware stores to coat handles for better gripping. Used it once on a machete handle.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™