Best chainsaw?

snappy1August 24, 2009

I need to find out who has the best chainsaw for 500-550 dollars? I either want to buy a husqvarna or a stihl. Which has the most quality, and bang for the buck?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladylake(minnesota)

Stihl MS361 MS260
Husky 357xp or 359

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 5:57AM
masiman(z7 VA)

It depends on what you want to cut. Bigger wood is better with a bigger saw, maneuvering around smaller wood will be a little easier with a smaller lighter saw. If you have to have Stihl or Husky then ladylake has a good list. I would also add the Husky 346xp. Husky's equivalent MS260.

Which is better is alot of personal opinion. Get the one you like and with the dealer that you like. I'm guessing you'll need support after the sale, so a dealer would be some thing you should look for.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 9:15AM
rosepicker

what are you looking to use it for? i have one i will sell you for cheap.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 4:06PM
snappy1

It will be used to do a bunch of things such as reclaim roads of downed trees.(pine) Cut our huge family's christmas trees, and cut 8 cords of almond and oak a year for our family's fireplaces. Not an obscene amount, but I believe you get what you pay for, and it is going to be a present, so it has to be new, and quality.(don't want him to complain!) lol. Thanks

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 5:44PM
canguy(British Columbia)

You definitely are on the right track, an entry level home owner unit will not do what you will ask of it. Ladylake has some excellent suggestions, others to look at would be Dolmar, Jonsered (basically a red Husqvarna)Shindaiwa, or Echo. The most important thing is a well stocked dealer who will look after it after the sale regardless of brand.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 8:21PM
snappy1

Thank you guys very much! I will now locate a good dealer.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 8:57PM
zen_man

snappy1,

Just a caution -- a big box store doesn't count as a good dealer in my opinion. One reason I selected Stihl is they don't sell chainsaws online, while Husqvarna does. It kind of scares me that a kid could wind up with a chainsaw that way.

Stihl dealers are reasonably knowledgeable about chainsaws, but I have seen big box stores selling a chainsaw to someone who has never used a chainsaw and, incidentally, the salesman hadn't used one either. Blind leading the blind...

My Stihl dealer spent nearly two hours counseling me on my selection of a model and bar length, proper ways to start the saw, how to use the saw safely, how to adjust the bar oiling rate for different woods, and how to maintain the saw, including how to sharpen the chain.

Incidentally, I selected a Stihl MS361 (that was back when it first came out several years ago) with a 16-inch bar and their standard "green" chain. It cuts very fast despite the green chain. It would be scary fast with a more aggressive chain. I also got chainsaw chaps and a Stihl helmet with ear protectors and a full face screen. The screen wire has the advantage of not fogging up in cold weather, it's unbreakable, and since the screenwire is black, you don't notice it. I really like that helmet and I also wear it while I am using my MacKissic 12PT9 shredder chipper.

ZM

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 1:21AM
canguy(British Columbia)

I am glad you had such a good experience with that dealer, we need more like him.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™