Russian Sage, can I cut it back

stephanie_kay(5a IL)May 30, 2009

About two weeks ago I was told I could cut my Russian Sage back to help control the over all size and that it would still bloom for me but a little bit later. Do I still have time to do it and still have the blooms?

Thanks Stephanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
siennact

I think so. I am in zone 6 and I just did mine.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 7:39PM
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

How far did you cut yours back? Mine at at 28 inches right now and I was thinking about cutting them to about 16 to 18 inches. Does that sound like to much or should I cut them back even more?

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 7:51PM
siennact

I think I cut mine to about 12" but I think it's a matter of preference and knowing the specific plant. I'm honestly not sure how tall, I just guessed. Why 12"? You're going to be impressed by my expertise here... If it works out well and they don't flop, I will hopefully be able to remember for the future 12" on Memorial Day. LOL

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 7:47PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I never prune these in the fall, but I wait until they start to show growth in the spring. I've tried cutting them tall but I find they perform better for me and look better if I cut them down to just above the lower growth. They are off to a great start this year. I just moved them from part sun to full sun and I've never seen them look better.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 3:33PM
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

Prairiemoon, I always cut mine back in the spring too. Which I did already. I have now cut them a second time.
I started trimming the when I decided to take photos. So only one of the bushes has been trimmed in the first photo.

After finishing with all three bushes.

I am hoping to get blooms and keep them at a mere 3 feet or so. Instead of 4 plus feet.
They are looking pretty good right now. Will post photos if they bloom or will post that they did not bloom after the 2nd cut.

Stephanie

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 6:21PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

This is what I have noticed for the past 3 years. The russian sage plants at Bunker Hill Rd, Algonquin always gets cut to the ground. However, they cut it around late fall/early winter when the leaves are all dead.

I saw it 2 days ago and the height now is 14 inches tall. I'll take pictures of it.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 4:30AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

My camera is not working right now but mine are shorter than those in your photo. Yours are looking very healthy and happy! :-)

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 7:10AM
nicoles1980(6)

stephanie_kay, i saw that you took out the little sprouts that had popped up alongside the main plant. i have those also. do you know (or anyone else!) if i can pick those out and then make them into their own plant?

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 4:37PM
austinnhanasmom(5 CO)

Every fall or winter, we cut ours to about 6-12". They then grow to about 4-5', including flower spikes.

This year, I dug up some little, and not so little, sprouts - deep roots - and potted them up. I can't yet tell if they'll make it.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 5:50PM
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

Nicoles,
I planted up three last year in quart size pots and grew them till Oct. I gave two away the third guy did not make it. They got thirsty easily so just make sure you give them plenty of water and I had them where they got afternoon shade. They both came back this year for their new owners.

Stephanie

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 7:01PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I cut mine back twice. I cut almost to the ground in very early spring and again halfway about now to keep them more compact and less sprawling.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 11:17AM
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

Buyorsell888,
That is about what I did this year. I am glad to hear from you that you did it that way. The only thing being is that with me being in zone 5, I have a shorter growing season then you. I guess the worse would be that I would have a shorter bloom time then you.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 6:37PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I'm in 8 but we have a very short summer, you probably have more sun than I do. Two thirds of our year here is cloudy and gray.

I bet your Perovskias will be just fine.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 1:49PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

Do you think folks the russian sage I grew from seed will flower this year? I'm thinking it might because the russian sage always flower from new stems. What do you think?

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 10:27PM
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

Yes I think they will bloom for you this year. Maybe not be much of a show if they are very small but you should get something.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™