Which hedge trimmer for 7' privet hedge?

gottagarden(z5 western NY)August 7, 2011

I have 150 feet of privet hedge that I want to maintain at 7 feet. In the past I have used electric but we're past that now. I'm only 5' and can't reach the top. Assume I need some gas powered articulating head. I'll have these hedges forever so I'm willing to spend to get a quality trimmer. I only prune once a year, they are not tightly pruned.

thanks in advance for your recommendation!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Search pole hedge trimmers or Extended Length Hedge Trimmers as below. There are some extended trimmers out there but I h/n seen or used any personally. Post a pic of your challenge. I have one neighbor with a similar challenge across his back. I assumed he used a ladder for the top and walked the sides with a nice gas powered 36" reach. The transfer of power at an angle would be my concern. I'm sure someone has a proven system. loger

STIHL Extended Length Hedge Trimmers link below:

http://www.stihlusa.com/hedgetrimmers/extendedhedgetrimmer.html

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 9:42AM
homechicken(7b/metro-Atlanta)

Stihl, Echo and Redmax all make articulating extended reach hedge trimmers, some with a shaft as long as 59". They're all excellent brands. I imagine any of them would work well for you. I've got several Stihl products I'm happy with, but Echo has a good rep and has a 5 year warranty. Redmax is probably the most expensive of the three. I was sitting at a Jiffy Rip the other day eating a snack in my truck and was watching a landscaper trim the hedges along the road. He had an articulating Redmax. He was zipping through those hedges at a pretty fast clip. I caught him walking back to his truck on my way out and asked how he liked the Redmax hedge trimmers. He said they were the best ones he'd used. That's just what one guy told me, and I have no personal experience with gas trimmers of any kind, so take that for what its worth.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 10:02AM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

thanks for your replies. I will research those listed.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 5:35AM
More Discussions
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?
I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another...
baymee
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed on this Site
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed...
loger_gw
Backpack Leaf Blowers
I have been looking around at backpack leaf blowers,...
OutdoorGuy1
General craftsman tiller gearbox question.
Ages ago in the early 90's, I bought a Craftsman 5hp...
bliackbeard
Sponsored Products
Oceanside Bold Stripe Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Bright Red Narrow Zig Zag Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Monterey Texture Stripe Green Rectangular: 4 Ft. 11 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Indoor/Out
$129.50 | Bellacor
Nickel Table Lamps: 26 in. Camden Mosaic Satin Nickel Table Lamp with Night Ligh
Home Depot
Wolf Unity Latex Hybrid Mattress with Cotton Cover - STY-1010
$541.67 | Hayneedle
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan 34 in. White Outdoor Table Lamp
Home Depot
Vintage Pewter One-Light Brass Industrial Cage Wall Sconce
$119.95 | Bellacor
Hector Bibendum Pendant - Small - Original BTC
$229.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™