Zero Turn Questions...I Need Answers

ocmoses(7)April 23, 2014

Occasionally I run across used zero turn mowers at estate sales or other venues. Since I have never owned this type of mower, what do I need to "watch out for"? Please educate me.
Is the John Deere Z Trac a good mower?
Is there really a difference between a mower bought at a John Deere dealer and a mower bought at Home Depot or Lowes?
What brand of zero turn is considered to be the best?
What are the main problems associated with zero turn machines?
Are there maintenance issues to be considered for zero turn versus conventional type mowers?

My last question; is there a difference in blade RPMs between zero turn and conventional mowers (better cut quality)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

I don't know that there is much difference in any of the basic zeros. They all have light duty transmissions. Kept blown clean and not abused they last a long time. If you get to a better unit- you get a lot more in performance and durability. The only thing a 757 and basic Z track have in common is the color of the paint.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)

As tomplum noted, grass buildup is a problem. Air hose is your friend. Every few hours blow the decks clean. If a previous owners mowed with the pulleys jammed packed with leaves and grass, wears the engine. Same for your cooling system --> radiator or cooling fins. Blow everything clean.

Zeros are called hydrostatic, but its really motor oil. Mine has Mobil-1 Full Synthetic 15W-50. Supposed to be cleaned, but I have yet to change mine. Entire threads on that here.

For me, the big problem is dealing with bumps in the lawn. Most ZTRs can go pretty fast. But your really can't do that unless your lawn is rolled totally flat.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:58AM
More Discussions
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
What happened???
I logged in yesterday after a prolonged absence and...
romore_gw
Everybody getting enough seat time with the snow?
I know I am, way too much and compared to New England,...
exmar
old mtd lawnflite chain drive?
Hey I just bought and old riding mower and lo and bohold...
mtdlawnflite
Request for advice/information on Simplicity Regent 4111
Hello all. I was doing an internet search and found...
mattyruch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™