Sucker or not

flowers.comMay 17, 2014

Help please I took a cutting from a climbing rose a few years ago and planted it in my garden. I haven't really paid it much attention but it grew and last year was the first year it was really big enough to need staking to my fence. This year I've noticed that 90 % of the leaves have 7 leaves on them. Does this mean it's a sucker and my original rose is lost?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

No, if you rooted a cutting it is an own root plant and will not become root stock because there is no root stock to grow. Let it grow and bloom and it should be the same rose you took the cutting from.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 9:30AM
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

It depends -- was the "climbing rose" already rootstock which overtook the grafted/budded top growth? Your rooted cutting will be a copy of whatever the cutting came from. If you took a cutting of rootstock, then your new rose is also rootstock. What did the climbing rose look like when it bloomed?

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 10:15AM
jacqueline9CA

I agree that what you have is the same rose you rooted and planted. To say that a rose is "rootstock" only makes sense if it is coming up from the roots of a grafted rose.

Otherwise, it is just a plant of whatever rose it is. Whether or not that rose has been used for rootstock at some time is irrelevant. I presume you rooted the climbing rose because you liked it. If it has 7 leaflets, that does NOT mean that it is "rootstock", it just means that it is a rose which has 7 leaflets, most of which are old roses.

Has it bloomed since you planted it? When you rooted it, did the cutting you rooted have a bloom on it that you liked? If you rooted a cutting that did not have a bloom on it, it is theoretically possible that you rooted a rose that was not the rose you wanted. If it did have a bloom on it that you liked, that is the rose you got.

Let it bloom, and any possible confusion will be resolved.
Whatever it is, it is growing on its own roots now, so what you see is what it is. It will bloom the same as it has ever bloomed since you planted it. Please post a picture on here, and someone will probably be able to identify it for you.

Here is a picture of a rose that WAS originally rootstock on a modern rose. I had dug up the modern rose, because I didn't like it. Up came this one, to my delight. It has 7 leaflets. It is one of my most favorite roses - gorgeous, very fragrant, and a climber.

Jackie

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 12:53PM
jasminerose4u, California(9b)

Interesting, Jacqueline. Do you think your pink rose is De La Grifferaie? It is used as rootstock.

Here is a link that might be useful: De La Grifferaie

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™