A word of caution for people that have public water and a well.

wertach zone 7-B SCAugust 30, 2013

I have both public and well water. I can open and close valves to use either one.

I use the well water for the taste and because it's cheaper. The public is only for power outages.

My power was off the other morning so I opened the public water valve and didn't bother with the valve at the well since I would have to remove the cover. I needed to take a shower and go to work. I just flipped off the breaker on the well.

When I got home, I went out to close the public water valve and I heard a hissing noise coming from the well.

The public water is much higher pressure and it blew out the seal on my pump! I have a new seal on the way......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

Yup,and when your water bill comes you may realize a few thousand gallons of public water went into the well.
You are suppose to have backflow prevention for the oppisite serinerio,maybe you should have one for both ways.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 2:22PM
exmar

Agree with Klem, while you're working on the pump would be a good time to add a check valve.

Ev

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 8:21AM
wertach zone 7-B SC

Yes, I'm going to add a check valve to prevent that from happening again. I have a check valve in the public water line, I just never got around to adding one on the well.

I checked my water meter Klem, It appears that my foot valve is in good condition, I only used/lost 200 gallons, I've got 800 more gallons before I have to pay any extra!

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™