Craftsman leaf blower does not retract pull cord

esemilio(Z5 WI)August 17, 2010

I have a craftsman model 358.79756 (32cc gas engine) everything works great except that on many occasions the pull cord will not retract. I have taken it apart and cleaned it - could not locate the problem. When cord does not retract on its own, I have to turn the blower wheel manually and the rope will be retracted, sometime 1/2 turn and the cord rewinds - it is as if the take up mechanism was been held up. (The take up spring is not broken) Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

1. Have you tried lubricating all areas where there is friction of parts moving on parts?
2. Have you tried adding another loop of return tension on the return, inside the cover?
Usually this is easily done inside the cover with just the rope w/o un-bolting etc..
These two methods have worked on blowers, trimmers and chainsaws. Good Luck! Loger

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 5:01PM
esemilio(Z5 WI)

I have to take it apart again. The cranking mechanism on this unit is sandwiched between the blower and the engine. I had squirted lubricant through the hole that the starter rope goes in but I don't think it lubricated much. There is no way adding another loop without taking it apart. I really doubt that adding one or two more loops will help. I can pull out the cord slowly so that all of it is out and it will not recoil by itself. Sometime after it starts it will suck it back; other times it sucks it back when I stop it - as it dies it sucks it back. It is as if the starter cluching mechanism to the crankshaft is not being released.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 6:19PM
esemilio(Z5 WI)

Took it apart - recoil spring had become dislodged - must not have put it back together correctly last time! It works for now.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Disgusted with my Mantis tiller
I've had a Mantis tiller since Spring of 2005. It's...
mitchb2
Building storage shed on a terraced slope
Is it safe to build a storage shed occupying two levels...
Thomas Lu
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
Sponsored Products
Glomar Live End Cord Kit in Black HD-TP157
$12.54 | Home Depot
Walton Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Elk Lighting Zebra Bookends - 93-1220
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Soup Tureen with Ladle - WHITE
$360.00 | Horchow
Hunter Green Leaf-Embossed Sheet Set
$19.99 | zulily