Dragon Lady Holly

chester_grant(6)February 29, 2008

Now this is a terrific holly - at least at my last house. I had a magnificent specimen on the property which was dense and which grew to twenty feet in height - it was subsequently cut down by the buyers in order to expose stonework on the front of the house!

I have puchased a couple of small 7 ft dragon lady hollys where I live now but both are spindly looking things - after three years of growth. Do these things have to be vigorously pruned in order to get a dense form? Or do I just have lemons this time around? Maybe the difference is the amount of light they get - the dense one mentioned above was in full sun all afternoon - and I never pruned it either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If they are healthy you may just be seeing the difference between youth and age, the much larger and older plant having more meat on it.

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 5:20PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Most all hollies like full sun, although ilex opaca can tolerate a good bit of shade. I'm not familiar with 'Dragon Lady' but it sounds like she needs more sun.
Sherry

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 5:45PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Dragon Lady is actually a registered trademark used to sell the female cultivar 'Meschick' derived from a crossing of Ilex pernyi and I. aquifolium. Possibly an influence from the first parent tends to produce an open habit when the plant is young. Also, production nurseries are interested in frequent cropping, newly purchased specimens may have been "pushed" and exhibit longer, sparser shoots than will be seen subsequently in the new planting site.

"The new variety is a quick grower...

Eight year old plants in the landscape averaged approximately 3 feet in breadth at the base, approximately 1.5 feet in breadth at the top, and approximately 9 to 10 feet in height. Most specimens have 2 or 3 main trunks."

Here is a link that might be useful: United States Patent: PP04996

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 6:18PM
chester_grant(6)

My Dragon Ladies - at least the ones referred to here - have a single trunk. I do have another multitrunked one which I bought as a mature tree.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™