Cold hardiness of hybrid witch hazels

ja-gardener(5)February 24, 2013

I am wondering who out there has grown any of the hybrid witch hazels like Arnold's Promise, Jelena, Diane etc. in zone 5 or colder zones. How about chinese witch hazel Pallida? Whats the upper limit on cold hardiness you have found.

Lots of sources say 5 or 6. Any success in 4b?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Witch hazel tree for flowers in February

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

I've had a 5b winter so far and mine are all still alive. Jelena, Girard's Purple and Arnold's Promise. The fall color on Jelena has been terrible and the other two have been spectacular.

These are just early observations over 2 years. The first year I had them we had a 6b winter.

I picked up a couple Vernal witch hazels as they are a bit more hardy and color more reliably. Songsparrow has a slew of cultivars including several in various fall color shades....I always thought they go gold but there some that are somewhat orange and others that are red.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 5:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smivies

'Diane' has been 100% ok for me for 10 years. There was a 'Diane' growing in a street planting that died last year from drought....it was 20+ years old. I'm in zone 5b and hit that threshold (-10F to -15F) virtually every year and usually multiple times in a season. Coldest I remember from the last 15 years was -18F.

For this area, 'Diane' has great yellow fall color but the red flower petals just don't seem to get longer than 1/4" (3/8" tops)....makes for a lackluster display.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Newly planted Leyland Cypress browning on top
I live in South Carolina- clay soil, and just planted...
justjewels19
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
Beech tree in NJ
I am in the process of re-foresting my backyard with...
johniferous
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™