Baking soil to remove gnats

battery841April 25, 2010

I picked up some Miracle-Gro potting soil today for some green beans. After the purchase, I went on Amazon to look at reviews and a lot of people were complaining about gnats. Someone suggested baking the soil at 350 degrees before using which should get rid of any gnats or larvae. Does anyone here have comments about that?

Would you consider the Miracle Gro potting mix (http://tinyurl.com/2dcemkd) to be a good option for the green beans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjcore

Well one thing about complaints on the internet is that alot of people like to complain. IMO internet reviews aren't always balanced.

If you're overly concerned about gnats then go ahead and bake it. But I assume they're going to be outdoors anyways so you probably don't need to.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 8:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Baking any soil will result in a stench that you will not like that can last for a fairly long time. Many potting soils will have the eggs that can hatch into these Fungus Gnats, if the soil is kept too moist, too long. To keep Fungus Gnats from hatching out water only as necessary so the top inch is kept fairly dry most of the time. Water the plants growing in this soil only when the soil is dry after you insert your index finger in to the first knuckle.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 7:12AM
More Discussions
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Idea for high moisture woody debris compost heap
I got some branches recently in someone's yardwaste...
irjowo99
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
bread in compost
New to composting and confused now. What is wrong with...
jamb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™