bagged soil

bibbus(7b)April 26, 2014

Last fall I dug up an area with Bermuda grass and possibly other weeds. I didn't want to dispose of the soil and I got as much of the Bermuda out of it as I could see. I left it outside in plastic Wal-mart bags (double bagged) during the really cold winter. Two questions. What happens to soil in a plastic bag over several months (five in this case) when it is bagged up. Some air can get to it and possibly moisture. Do the living things - the micro-organisms - in the soil do ok or does the soil lose its nutrients/health from being in plastic? What about the really cold weather - it got to 0 a couple of times here and was the coldest winter on record in many years. Does that affect the soil? It was stored against a brick wall in shade but above ground. Just curious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The Soil Food Web, the bacteria and other wee critters in soil will go dormant when temperatures drop below those they prefer to work in, so they would not need air or moisture until such time as the temperatures rose and they started working again.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 6:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toxcrusadr

I doubt it affected it very much at all. Go ahead and use it somewhere.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Post hole filled with compost for deep soil conditioning
I am trying to find a way to fix my soil as deep and...
taylorjonl
How quickly can I lower pH of soil in order to plant acidic plants?
I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma! I...
stillasprout
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
Soil Test Report questions-please help.
Hello all you kind folks on this site. I have received...
allyn12
Berm and Top Soil/Tilling?
I plan on creating a low berm - about 6 inches tall...
Bob Sislow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™