Craftsman Platinum Mower model 917.376536 runs choked only?

loger_gwAugust 28, 2013

What would cause a Craftsman Platinum Mower model 917.376536 to run choked only?

1. If I manually choke it vs it choking itself it runs as long as itâÂÂs choked.

2. It appears something is missing that should cause it to choke, what would that be?

3. Running with the choke on is typically a sign of sucking air but from where with good fuel lines and carb connection?

4. We added fresh fuel with a little carb cleaner added but d/n run it over :10.

5. Fuel runs good with the bowlâÂÂs float dropped, could it still be a swollen seat restricting fuel w/o chocking?

6. Any opinions?

This mower was on what I thought was a scrap metal collectorâÂÂs truck that sat on the curb the last two nights. Seeing the owner, I asked if it ran and he said it did and just stopped. I asked if he wanted to donate it and he replied no due to the 400.00+ he said it cost and would like to get it repaired. Seeing the electric start self propel and Etc I felt it cost $400.00 + and could possibly be in warranty. After seeing how I could make it run, heâÂÂs taking it back to Sears to see if they will help him.

Due to asking for it as a donation, I was embarrassed enough to do the quick troubleshooting and he is to let me know what Sears suggest or Etc..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcmoser

My guess Probably needs something my girlfriend use to need ever so often????? DiaPhramn. Or maybe gummed up/dirty main jet Which IMO choking would lean out the mixture letting it run, but not full power due to the limited air. either way Sears mech. probably going to say carb. need rebuilt. That way covers all the bases and gets the full charge for carb. repair IMO of course which means Absolutely nothing.....

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:24PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

If it's a Tecumseh engine, it's the main jet (bowl nut) probably, or other varnish inside the carb. If it runs, clean the main jet, put a good dose of carb cleaner in the tank and run it with the choke closed. It may clean up by itself.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:06PM
loger_gw

Thanks baymee! The maim jet is my first thought to inspect which was clear but I h/n seem a bolt with two or I would have spotted them. The bolt was too short to start almost. I feel he is on a good path with fresh fuel and carb cleanser if he runs it before going top Sears. I have learned that I d/n know it all and that all are not interested in their needed repairs. Enough Said!

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:19PM
ewalk

Huuuuum Very Interested ....Very Interesting Indeed ! :)

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™