Which Stihl extended hedge trimmer

zdogAugust 12, 2011

I live in Arizona and have several decorative citrus trees to keep trimmed up and in check. I think I have decided on Stihl as the brand but would like some advice on which extended reach trimmer to buy. It is between the all in one unit such as a HL-100 fixed blade or a Stihl Kombi Motor KM 90R or KM 110R with the HL-KM fixed attachment. The adjustable attachments are too long and out of balance for my taste. So do I need the all in one or the Kombi Motor setup? I already have a chain saw and string trimmer from Stihl so I can't think of any other attachments I may need.

Thanks,

zdog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Homechicken(7b/metro-Atlanta)

The dedicated unit would be cheaper than the Kombi Motor plus the HL attachment, so unless you feel you may want to get other attachments for the Kombi later, I'd get the dedicated HL100. They make a short HL100K with pivoting head that's $50 more than the fixed head version. That's what the K is for by the way. K for Kurz, which is German for short. If it were me, I would spend the extra $50 and get the pivoting head. Sure enough, if I didn't, I'd wish I had. While combination units are handy, one disadvantage to them is if you have trouble with the engine all your combination attachments are down. When my old (not Stihl) combination unit bit the dust I couldn't edge or weedeat the yard until I got replacements. I opted for dedicated units for each task and am going to repair my old combination unit to either keep as a spare or donate to someone who needs it.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™