Need a good counter clockwise trimmer

alabamatreehugger(8)August 6, 2012

What are some good gas trimmers that have a counter clockwise rotation? I know Poulan does, but I'm not impressed with their quality. I'm left handed, so if it spins clockwise it throws the debris onto my legs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ggoyeneche

Almost all 2 stroke trimmer engines rotate clockwise, looking from the top end of the engine. Accordingly a curved shaft trimmer will rotate "clockwise", looking down at the cutter head. A straight shaft trimmer with a gear box reverses direction, and hence turns "counter-clockwise", again looking from above.

There are some exceptions, such as a few Tanaka and other high end curved shaft, which spin the other way, so they are consistent with their line of straight shaft machines.

I have both, a cheapy Homelite SX135 curved shaft I use for light trimming, and two straight shaft for heavier work, an Echo SRM2100 semi-pro, and an Olympyk 400 professional. Everytime I switch machines it takes a few minutes to retrain the muscle memory and get comfortable again with the reverse rotation.

Suggest you look at several straight-shaft machines with a gear box head. Both Echo and Stihl make excellent machines starting in the low $200's.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 8:25PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

So most straight shaft 2 cycles should spin counter clockwise? I will only buy a straight shaft since I use it around a large drainage ditch.

I did have a straight shaft 4 cycle Cub Cadet, but I got tired of it spraying my legs so I gave it away. Maybe it's just the 4 cycles that turn the "wrong way"? LOL

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 12:57AM
txtom50(8a texas)

Have you looked at wheeled trimmers? One of those might be just the thing for a large drainage ditch. It would sure help keep the debris off your pants.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 6:14AM
alabamatreehugger(8)

I have a DR wheeled trimmer, but one side of the ditch has a steep hill, and the trimmer tends to want to tip over.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 10:15AM
lbpod

I have seen the local highway department using an attachment on a tractor that has a hydraulic powered
rotary mower on an arm that the operator uses to trim
ditches. But maybe overkill for your situation.
Maybe a good dose of Roundup would help?

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 10:33AM
alabamatreehugger(8)

I have used RoundUp before, but ended up havings LOTS of erosion problems. A hand held trimmer is pretty much my only option.

I've heard many good things about the Echo trimmers, so I'll make sure to check them out.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
Sponsored Products
Illumine Lamps 32 in. White Table Lamp with White Fabric Shade CLI-LS-22074
Home Depot
Hopson Leather Corner Chair - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
24" White Marble Vessel Sink Natural Stone - BALI WHITE
Living'ROC
Transparent Ripple Glass Drum Pendant Ceiling Lamp
ParrotUncle
Dualit 72460 Cordless Jug Electric Kettle - 72460
$109.99 | Hayneedle