Generator eats up rectifier assemblies????
Well, I'm a bit stumped here. I have a 3250 watt Craftsman (made by Generac) generator that came with my house (Nicely wired with a transfer panel, thank you!)
It works great--but seems like it loses its magnetism relatively quickly. I can jump start it by "flashing" it via the "plug in a corded drill and spin in reverse" method for a while, but it never seems to regain it's own ability to produce power without this step. Eventually it can't be revived.
If I replace the recitfier/brush assembly, it works perfectly for a while. No flashing necessary.
I do start it once a month or so and run it for 30 minutes with a space heater (1500 watts) to keep it excersized.
Could I be doing something to burn out this rectifier assembly somehow? It's a Briggs part (91825GS) that I get for about $19.95 plus shipping from Jack's. It's easy to swap, but the 20 bucks every year or so (with very little use) is getting a little annoying!!!
(I'll admit that for my 30 minute "excersize," I don't ground the generator. Could this be somehow ruining the rectifier?"
Any ideas would be appreciated!