welding

davie1973August 12, 2009

i have a mig welder and using this for small jobs are the home. my question is the mig welding gun has a nozzle at the end and i want to take it off,and replace the welding tip.....instructions say to turn counter clockwise as you are pulling out. i tried this and it seems to be stuck..any info to take this nozzle off would be for me thanks davie1973, ok to contact me at davie1973@bellsouth.net

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

My mig has two removable parts. The air shield and the smaller copper tip inside of it. Both can get slag and corrosion around them or on the threads, but both should unscrew with a pliers.

I'm surprised you never had the wire burn to the tip before, necessitating the tip's removal earlier in life.

Here's one tip I learned years ago. The shielding tip is often 1/2" longer than the welding tip itself. I trimmed my shield back so it's only 1/4" beyond the end of the welding tip. This allows you to get closer to the work and inside corners for better penetration. It also lets slag into the shielded area easier, so keep a screwdriver handy to clean out the slag often, or use anti-slag spray.

I use Never Seize on the threads of the gas shield, as well.

There's alot to learn about welding and if you have a chance, take a course at a local community college. I was welding for 20 years before I went to take a short course and was surprised at all the technical stuff I didn't know.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™