spindly rosh bushes

plantgnome(6b//7)May 22, 2012

My rose bushes, which I do prune in early spring, always end up throwing off very tall spindly branches with buds on top. How can I get the bush to actually be bushy. I don't know the names or type of bush I have as they have been in the ground for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/plantgnome/roses/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Without knowing what the rose is it's hard to say. All roses have different growth habits and that may just be natural for the rose that you have. In the picture that all looks like good, normal, healthy growth to me.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:30AM
roseblush1(8a/Sunset 7)

Another thought.... are they growing in too much shade. Roses will "reach for the sun" and look very spindly in the process.

Smiles,
Lyn

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:37AM
plantgnome(6b//7)

Okay-I am going to try to figure out what type of rose bush it is. All I know right now is that they are white and bloom all summer. They have never been heavy on the foliage. Guess I should leave well enough alone. Thanks.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:39AM
plantgnome(6b//7)

Hi roseblush1-they are in full sun maybe 4 hours a day. Also I was thinking the nearby clematis, which gets too bushy may be blocking the sun from the lower portion of the roses. Maybe in the fall I will reverse locations and put the roses in front of the clematis since clematis likes to have the roots in the shade.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Garden Plan Advice
First off, thanks to everyone for the huge wealth of...
My Name
Versigny Rose
Hello, I'm awaiting the arrival of my spring order...
twinkletoad
Blooming right now.
On the first day of Spring yesterday I went around...
caflowerluver
DA Winchester Cathedral
I am trying to find a white DA rose that will grow...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Does this Alfalfa Tea look right?
The first picture is the tea trying to bubble up through...
missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™