'The President'

sam_mdFebruary 24, 2013

Did you know that 'The President' was 3200 years old? Have you ever had the pleasure?

Here is a link that might be useful: 'The President'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Warning: link leads to a Youtube video.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 9:42PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I've never seen a Youtube link warrant a "warning". Am I missing something?

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 10:30PM
aquilachrysaetos

Last summer I sat on a bench across the path from that tree and contemplated it while eating a sack lunch with Hubby. It's one of the most beautiful sequoias. I think it's prettier than Sherman because the bark is much more vivid and it has a fuller canopy.

That bottom to top photo Nat Geo did confirms my opinion.

We're going back up there in May. It's probably my most favorite place in the world.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 12:09PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

dis, I have that photo on my office wall. It's pretty impressive and a nice looking tree besides. My wife and I spent a week in Yosemite last Fall. 'The President' isn't there, but the Sequoiadendrons are almost as big. We have also spent some time in the Calaveras Grove further north near Angel's Camp.
Mike

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 1:42PM
sam_md

Hi dis_,
I've never been to Sequoia Nat'l Park so I really envy you, it's on my bucket list. I've heard some say it's considered hallowed ground.
The youtube link in the OP is promoting the December issue of Nat'l Geographic Magazine. I really like the fact that they took the portrait in winter. Many easterners think that Sequoia cannot tolerate cold. This is from the article:
One thing to remember about them,........is that they withstand months of frigid conditions. Their preferred habitat is severely wintry, so they must be strong while frozen. Snow piles up around them; it weights their limbs while the temperature wobbles in the teens.
How about the fact that the top 40' is dead from a lightening strike that occured 1000 YEARS AGO!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 7:35PM
aquilachrysaetos

Botann: I've never visited Yosemite's Sequoias. I've seen photos of the Grizzly Giant in the Mariposa grove. That is an impressive tree. I definitely want to visit that one.

Sam: 40`? You can barely see it for the encircling foliage. In fact I did not know it had a snag top until I saw the photo. I couldn't see it from the ground.

The snow photos are the most beautiful, I think. Dunno if I'll ever get a chance to see the trees in snow.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™