Chiastophyllum oppositifolium anyone?

rouge21_gw(5)May 21, 2013

Doing a search I don't see much talk on GW re this interesting plant i.e. a sedum/succulent which can do well in some shade. (Maybe I have it spelled incorrectly...and I don't know its common name).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

I'm not going to be much help here but...

I tried it a few times from seed without luck. Another GW bud sent me the seed and told me she grows hers in a pot and covers it some so it doesn't get so wet in winter. She is in z4 too, which is impressive since some sites state it can be more of a z6-er. From what I understand, it needs excellent drainage.

Ps. 'Jim's Pride' is an awesome looking variegated form. Someday I might just order one of the species or the variegated. Such cool looking pendulous flowers on it...
CMK

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 10:43PM
rouge21_gw(5)

I picked one up just the other day. It looks like a healthy specimen. I will plant it right next to the stone edging thinking it will droop over the edge.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 9:40AM
rouge21_gw(5)

UPDATE:

I planted the one shown above last season and it easily made it through the winter. In fact after several feet of snow melted it appeared to have been evergreen.

It is blooming now and I like it enough (nice colour and interesting inflorescence) that I just added another plant close by.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:33PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I've had mine growing in a shady rock garden for over 10 years at least. I also had a variegated one for over 5 years, but it finally bit the dust. The variegated one was really nice, but not nearly so vigorous as the standard variety. Like most plants, it will bloom better with more sun. Great, low-care perennial.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 9:01AM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Okay, I'm envious, lol. Nice looking plant Doug...
CMK

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™