Cost of Rosetone

sandinmyshoesoregonMay 3, 2012

What is up with the makers of this fertilizer? In 2 short years the price has jumped from around $16/large bag to $20. I have over 60 roses & just can't afford to use the product anymore. You can buy the ingredients dirt cheap at the feed store so I'm going to try that - mixing up my own. Shame on Espoma for getting so greedy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Peggy, add in shipping costs. Espoma is located in NJ. It costs a lot to get products from here to Oregon, and I'll bet that's the reason for the increased price. Are there local products with the same materials available?

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 9:39AM
sandinmyshoesoregon

Diane, out of curiosity, how much does a 20 pound bag of RoseTone cost where you are?
Actually no, there aren't locally made products (that I have found anyway), like RoseTone. I've taken to ordering Mills Magic Mix. Great stuff with free shipping right to my door.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 9:53AM
mike_rivers(z5 MI)

Rosetone used to contain a good deal of synthetic fertilizer ingredients. Sometime in the past two years or so, it switched to a 100% organic formula and possibly this is the reason for the higher price. Are you sure you can get the new ingredients at your feed store?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosetone label

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 9:59AM
seil zone 6b MI

I found Walmart had it the cheapest this year. I think I paid $10.00 for the bigger bags. But check the Hollytone because it's almost identical and for some reason always cheaper.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 11:22AM
Terry Crawford

I can get the 36-lb. bags of Plant-Tone for $25 each at my local nursery. I don't think the roses know the difference.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 2:39PM
sandinmyshoesoregon

There is only one place anywhere near here where I can get Rosetone, & that's a large home store similar to Lowe's. I suspect that's why the price is so high. Our Walmarts sure don't carry it. Sure wish I could get a 36lb bag for $25!!

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 9:55PM
jeffcat

Price seems to be more dependent on location although added fuel/shipping costs probably adds up. In Columbus, at Oakland Nursey, I can get the larger bag with the handle for $14.99. In the NW Ohio area, it's $18.99.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 11:00PM
catsrose(VA 6)

Canned tuna went from .57 to .63 in three years. Life is like that.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 8:38AM
Terry Crawford

Peggy, I called my local nursery (who is rather large and also is a landscaping company) and negotiated a rate with them. Never hurts to ask for their 'best price'. I also buy in bulk for the season, because I have 300 roses. I use the Plant Tone on everything...clematis, hyrangeas, etc.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:03AM
buford(7 NE GA)

I've stopped using prepared fertilizer. I use alfalfa pellets ($12 for a 40 lb bag) and Black Kow ($5 for a 50 lb bag). I also use compost and shredded leaves that are free (except for my labor, of course).

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:07AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

"the price has jumped from around $16/large bag to $20"

We are frugal and have been making our own organic fertilizer forever. What we saw this spring was a doubling of ingredient costs from the Co-op. That you only had a price jump of 25% beats our nearly 50% rise.

The cost of fertilizer has made our neighbor farmers change their farming.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:26AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Peggy (sorry for the delay), at a local, independent hardware store, all of the "Tones" are $15.99 for 20 lbs.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™