Need suggestions for Garden Container (pic)

garnet69(6A S.Ont)May 24, 2011

We had our front entry relandscaped last year and I now have a small raised bed on one side of my steps. There used to be a large cedar growing in that spot. I have one corner of the bed where I want to plant something in a container but I need some suggestions. I was leaning towards a Hosta or a dwarf evergreen but am not sure what would work best in this spot.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. (I have also posted this in the Shrubs and Container Gardening Forums)

Thanks,

Garnet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

If you are planting in the position the pot is now it looks a bit shady to me. I suggest if you get 4 hrs of sun in that area I would plant a

fairy rose it blooms all summer and a purple Herchuera. To compliment your red japanese maple. This is not a good pic but I have that combo in a raised garden. It should be hardy in a pot.

If you do not think there is enough light maybe....
Creeping Jenny and Sedum in the middle. I have a green and yellow sedum that is tall as Autumn Joy it blooms pink in the Fall. If you want I will look up the name of the sedum.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 11:08PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

any annual vine... sweet potato???

or clematis???

something to work off that railing ...

ken

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 8:54AM
garnet69(6A S.Ont)

Thanks for your suggestions. I would love to have a Clematis to cover that railing but it would be fruitless since the railing is going, soon to be replaced by a more modern white railing. Hubby would scream bloody murder if I attempted to cover up his handy work ;). I like the idea of some creeping jenny hanging over the side of the pot. I'll have to think on this one a little longer.

Thanks everyone.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
daves10
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™