Anyone plant two climbers together to grow as one??

ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)May 11, 2012

I have a space to fill over and around a garage door, thinking of planting Cramoisi superior climbing and PARADE climbing together, four plants, one of each on either side and letting them merge into one.

Maybe this is forbidden is proper planting of roses, but, just a thought.

Almost embarrassed to ask!! :)

I just want lots of color and blooms and with what I read that CS has sparse foliage, thought P would make up the difference. Am I nuts?? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

Your not nuts. Give it a try. I did it in C.FL a few(?) years ago using Don Jaun. Had them planted 18" apart on a trellis on the open end of our car port. In 2 yrs it was a HUGE mass of rose bush covered in deep velvet red.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 9:45AM
stlgal(south z5)

I've done likewise, planting Austins in complementary colors to grow together--extends the bloom time and is very pretty. Just be sure there is enough amended soil at the bottom for everybody to spread out roots in.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:24AM
SpiderLily7(8B)

Oh yes, absolutely, I have roses grouped all over the property. One of the pleasures for me is planning the combinations of colors, blooms, and shapes the cultivars will attain when they're mature.

Many are placed to merge as freestanding hedges bordering beds, or to grow up trees together, such as Reve d'Or and The Bishop. I've also paired roses on arbors and tripods: Climbing Maman Cochet with Summer Wine, Viking Queen with Honorine de Brabant, Harlekin + Parade + Mme. Gregoire Staechelin +Aloha, etc. Hybrid musks are grouped in partially shaded areas, such Darlow's Enigma + Marjorie Fair + Nur Majal next to a patio so we can enjoy the fragrance.

So go for it.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™