Spartan Juniper sizes

Viktor99February 19, 2013

Hi, everyone! My wife and I have purchased Spartan Junipers to make a screen for our back yard, but we're a little confused, now, on spacing them correctly. Some sites say that these trees get 3 to 4 feet in diameter while others say 5 to 10 feet in diameter. We've also read that the spacing should be 3 to 4 feet apart while others say4 to5 and even 6 feet apart.

Do these Spartans grow differently in different zones?
How do I know what the spacing should really be?

Any help would really be helpful. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you are making a hedge you put them closer than is you were spacing for full development anyway. This one is said to grow 20' tall, although since it is not said to be a dwarf I would expect it to get bigger in time. A.L. Jacobson says in North American Landscape Trees (1996, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley) that it can clearly be seen to be a Rocky Mountain juniper (or maybe an eastern red cedar) and not a Chinese juniper, despite being sold as the latter.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 10:49AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

when screening.. budget is the only real limit ...

do you want it immediate.. then buy enough to do the job ... and plant them to get the job done ...

if you can wait.. you can go much cheaper.. smaller.. and spaced out..

they arent going to murder each other.. being too close ... nor too far ...

its all up to you..

see link for the potential of your plant.. presuming all the pix are spartan ...

they are conifers.. treat them as such ...

proper watering for 2 years.. i what success is based on .. not to mention PROPER planting.. and mulching ....

brandon.. link them to planting guide.. i gotta run

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 10:53

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 10:51AM
sunrisedigger(6a)

I've experimented with aspect for getting the best performance out of my Spartan Junipers , relocating the first of three in a row -- behind the house along the fence line and not getting full sun but soil conditions were right.
Actually it made a big difference so I added one on either side. approx 5' apart all grew very well and lush for years until I realized the spacing was wrong... fungal blight was causing the needles to rust in the lower branches. What the junipers need is more air circulation and sun to dry the wetness out quicker.They're not dying but the lower branches had to be trimmed Now I need an underplanting. The screen idea wasn't perfect.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Question About Planting Dogwood Tree
I bought a nice looking pink dogwood tree today - about...
alameda/zone 8
mountain ash question
Will a mountain ash seedling come true to the parent...
waynez5_ia
Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry or White Fringe Tree?
They're both adorable! Looking at both of these to...
ilovemytrees
Prunus mume are blooming in the South.
Pictures taken on February 3, 2015 at Wuhan (capital...
jujujojo_gw
my peach tree
My peach tree has bores or some type of insect in...
dbcaa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™