Collard greens with a lot of aphids

mastergardenator(7)April 5, 2010

I just chopped down my collard greens and found out they had a lot of aphids can i still compost the greens or the the aphids come back on what ever i put the compost on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjcore

I would compost them. I compost everything that I can that grows out of the earth.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 11:08PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

My experience with Collard Greens is they are an Aphid magnet, probably because these lush, leafy, greens provide what Aphids like best. Aphids can be controlled, but that control needs to start early and be applied often. One person at one community garden around here is out daily with a spray water bottle to knock the wee buggers off and after several weeks the numbers diminish. Collard greens infested with Aphids can be composted, Aphids and all, since the process will aid in killing the wee buggers.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 7:18AM
mastergardenator(7)

thanks you guys :P

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 5:40PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Gee, I just cut some greens tonight for dinner, and found aphids all over them. I was wondering if I could eat them, never mind compost them!

:)
Dee

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 9:47PM
bpgreen(5UT)

"Gee, I just cut some greens tonight for dinner, and found aphids all over them. I was wondering if I could eat them, never mind compost them! "

My sister was in the Peace Corps and when she got back, she told us that she learned to close her eyes when she ate and to repeat to herself that she needed protein whenever soft foods crunched.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
Shredded cardboard for mulch
Is it a good idea to use shredded cardboard to mulch...
plantveggies
Gooey vegetable compost under kitchen sink
Fellow gardeners who COMPOST, I need some advice. I...
valrie87
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™