chain saw leaking oil

kruggerSeptember 6, 2006

Can anyone help me with a problem I am having with my husky 55 Rancher, Bought it new about a year ago and it has been leaking oil since new. I bought it on ebay so I couldnt take it back for service. The saw runs great, it just leaks all the chain lube out the bottom leaving a puddle every time it sits. What a great little saw, I like it better than my stihl 029 Farm Boss, that I sold to buy this one. The stihl was alittle heavier and had a smaller bar (16) vs (20) on the husky. I just use it for cutting fire wood ( not to mutch here in S. FL ) but the stihl came in quite handy with demo on my large wooden swing-set after Frances or Gene or was it Wilma? Thanks

ps. always make sure that the break is off when you take the side cover off, I learned the hard way, two hours later.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

How big is the puddle? All saws will leave a small one as the oil drips off the bar and chain. This is not a common problem with the 55. Remove the bar and chain, clean the saw thoroughly then let it set. Maybe the tank gasket is leaking.

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 12:38AM
krugger

Canguy, the saw leaks all of what is in it. I will clean and inspect, was just wondering if anyone might know what the problem likely is, and how to best tackle it. thanks

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 12:47AM
nevada_walrus(Boulder City)

Try what canguy suggested, removing the bar and chain and cleaning the saw very well, make sure to top off the oil tank and leave it set. Its the best way to find the real source of the leak.

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 11:32PM
dannyboquet(z9 So Louisiana)

My new (one year old, used a couple of hours) Husky 350 does the same thing. I will try to check the gasket also. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 8:59AM
inkognito

If it only leaks after it is switched off it could be a problem with the oil pump syphoning the oil out.

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 3:58PM
canguy(British Columbia)

Often a problem with an improperly installed or damaged cap.

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
Honda Snowblower will not move in neutral
Hi everybody, I am a newbie to this forum. My Honda...
buttonperson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™