Geum

highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)May 23, 2008

Anyone else love these things?

I bought a couple different kinds last year, and I am just crazy about them.

'Mango Lasi'

It is covered with blooms right now:

... and 'Fireball':

The foliage reminds me a bit of heuchera or maybe geranium foliage, neat and tidy.

I also wintersowed 'Blazing Sunset' and can't wait to see that one bloom. Will it bloom the first year from seed? Also, how long do they usually bloom?

Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky1_gardener

Those are really pretty. I just planted my first last year and they are looking great already. I love how tidy they look too.

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 10:40PM
twixanddud(z5/6 SE Mich)

Yes! I love my geum 'Fireball' - I have several of them. I've had a couple other kinds over the years (a bright yellow one and a red one, I can't remember the names off hand), but didn't like them too much. I've heard of 'Mango Lassi', but haven't really seen pictures of it - yours looks beautiful! I'll have to try to see if I can find that one. Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures!

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 6:08AM
ghoghunter

I love mine. I think it is Mrs Bradshaw and is bright red. I planted seeds last year and they came up and grew but didn't bloom. This year those new plants have buds.
Joann

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 7:16AM
gardengirl_17(z5 OH)

Definitely love them! I have Fireball and Mrs. Bradshaw. Fireball was enormous this year and has been blooming for 3 weeks. I'd love to get some more of them. Does anyone know if they start well from seed? I haven't had any self-sown babies so I'm not sure.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 9:21AM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Oh I love them too! I grow, and have grown, many diffrent kinds. Here is a list of all of the ones ive grown.
G. 'Borisii','Pumpkin', 'Cooky' all look about the same in stature and blooms.
G. 'Fireball'- one of my favorites. I have it planted in front of a patch of ribbon grass and the combo is stunning.
G 'Lady Strathden'- the common yellow one, but it grows really great
G. 'Mango Lassi'- Love the color of this one
G. 'Mrs. Bradshaw'- have several of them. They sometimes seed off a baby for me.
G. 'Coppertone'- This one didnt last too long for me, but im thinking of trying it again, it has pretty coppery-peach flowers.
G. 'Bloody Mary'- didnt make it either. Its suppose to be a semi-double version of Mrs. Bradshaw, wasnt a whole lot of diffrence in my opinion.
Geum triflorum 'Prairie Smoke'- also known as 'Old Man's Wiskers'-really unusual little thing. Only the leaves have any resemblance to other Geum. The flowers are hard to describe, but after they bloom they get these awesome fuzzy seedheads.
Geum macrophyllum- a native shade plant. Also known as 'Big Leaf Avens'. Gets three feet tall with huge leaves and little yellow flowers. Reseeds reeeally well.
CMK

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 11:55AM
cnid(z5b Ont Canada)

Is there a common name for Geum? I think it is English something??

They won't grow for me. The photos are lovely.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 9:49PM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

The common name is Grecian Rose or Avens.

CMK, you named some ones that I hadn't heard of. After looking them up, now I want the 'Coppertone', and the 'Pumpkin' too!

Bonnie

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 9:59PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

I'm not aware of any nurseries currently offering it, but there is an amazing Geum capensis from South Africa with fuzzy, highly contorted leaves. Seneca Hill had it several years ago. It was zn 7 hardy for me for several winters in the early 2000s.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 11:02PM
girlndocs(8 WA)

Oh, oh, oh. I saw 'Mango Lassi' at the nursery last time I was there and was sore tempted. After this it may end up climbing into the car with me the next time I go.

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 2:45AM
ghoghunter

Yes you can grow Geum from seed. I planted seeds for Mrs Bradshaw last year and winter sowed them. They grew and this year they are going to bloom. Here are my Mrs Bradshaw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs Bradshaw

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 6:56AM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

Hi,
I just bought two of these. I forget the name, but they are pure red. Can you tell me if they bloom all summer?

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 10:49AM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

Bella, you probably have 'Mrs. Bradshaw'. This is my first full year with them, so I can't say for sure, but from what I have read, they bloom late spring - early summer, and will rebloom if deadheaded. How much rebloom, I don't know. Maybe someone who has had them longer will let us know.

Bonnie

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 11:08AM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

You'll often get a slight flush of toward the fall, but not all Geum rebloom, or have much rebloom, if deadheaded. But Ive found that those that do it some are Mrs. Bradshaw, Lady Strathden, and Fireball. Theres never a whole lot more flowers that come from deadheading, but its always nice to have even a few more. Its a little tricky in deadheading Geum. Sometimes their are more buds coming on the original stems and you just cant see them. Thats why I often just snip off only the fuzzy seedheads.
CMK

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 4:51PM
dinah9999(6a)

I planted a Mrs. Bradshaw Geum this spring from a nursery. It was very slow to grow and although it is now about 12" tall, it has never bloomed. Is this normal for the first year? It is planted in full sun with good, well drained soil. Thanks for any tips/info.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:00PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Yes, that is normal for the first year. Should have blossoms next year. I have Blazing Sunset which I grew from seed winter sown and after several years divided for more plants. Planted Cookie, also started from seed last year, but not planted until this spring. Had a few blooms but they have been eaten by rabbits.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:10AM
dinah9999(6a)

Thank you so much mnwsgal! That was what I was hoping to hear. :-)

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 12:10PM
grandmamaloy(7)

gardengirl-geum tend to be slow starters. Mrs. Bradshaw and Lady Stratheden are available to buy as seeds. From what I've read, though, volunteer seedlings from hybrid versions are pretty rare. They do multiply though and will look best if divided every three to four years. I LOVE the colors you can get in these!

Here is a link that might be useful: Some pretty geums

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™